Preview to monitor via component out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 30th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Preview to monitor via component out?

I have a HC1 and am using Vegas 7. When editing DV should I be able to see the preview on an external monitor via firewire to the camera and component out to the monitor? I know component out is working, I can see video on my capture screen and the external monitor when capturing video. I can not see it when playing the timeline. It does work via the composite video out but the Sony monitor only has S-Video in and component video in. I bought bnc > RCA adapters to use the component cable. I'm just wondering if I'm missing a setting or if this does not work.

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #2

You cannot use the 1394 output to send HD from the Vegas timeline to a converter for external preview like you can with DV.
HD monitoring occurs via HDMI, DVI, SVGA, or HD/SDI output from a card. That's it.
if you put the HC7 into DV mode, you can preview HDV downconverted to SD in the same firewire methods as used before.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am using an HC1 not an HC7.

I understand I can not see HDV, I'm not trying to.

My question is, with the camera set to DV, the Vegas timeline playing a DV (standard definition) clip, should I be able to see a standard definition preview on an external monitor using COMPONENT output from the camera??

Duane
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4

yes, you'll see preview on any analog output from the camcorder, without regard to model, as long as it allows passthru.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess the HC1 does not allow component passthru then, or there is some setting on the camera I'm missing. Composite passthru works fine but I get nothing when using the component cable. I've tried the component connection with both my Sony broadcast monitor and my 42" HD TV.

Duane
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

my hc-1's do not allow composite viewing either..only with the rca hookups that come with the camera...also, no audio is sent in pass through.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Helm View Post
my hc-1's do not allow composite viewing either..only with the rca hookups that come with the camera...also, no audio is sent in pass through.
I think you mean component viewing. The RCA connector that is yellow is composite signal, and that does work.

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...