no compression to compression---easy volume fix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

no compression to compression---easy volume fix?

So here's the deal: working on a short film, I compressed (track compressor) some of the audio with a 2:1 compression, but not all. That which I didn't compress was shot outdoors, and I decided to leave the compression off 'cause it seemed to bring up the wind noise/ambient noise. It's EQ'd, and I rode the audio throughout the movie with volume envelopes. However, watching the movie on regular TVs, I notice it becomes distinctly less punchy, and to my ear, harder to discern dialogue, once you go from the compressed portions to the uncompressed.

I did the compression at a track level, so all I have to do to compress the now uncompressed audio is add the track compressor plugin and set it to 2:1. However, this changes the volume levels. I'd like the peak levels to stay where I put 'em, and just have the low stuff brought up. Is there a simple way to compensate for the change, or do I have to go back and redo the envelopes for that whole portion?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM   #2

You could use expansion instead/after a compressor, but with lots of volume envelopes, it's guaranteed to sound fairly processed/false.
Were it me, I'd remove all the envelopes, set up each set of tracks to busses of related information, and put a static compressor on the bus, set to whatever you need it to be. Then individually use volume and/or compression on the track. Compression generally shouldn't be automated, although of course it can be depending on the compressor.
Then use small volume changes to build the intensity or lack of it, on the remaining sections.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...