DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 8 multicam tool preview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/102775-vegas-pro-8-multicam-tool-preview.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 4th, 2007 12:21 AM

Vegas Pro 8 multicam tool preview

here is a short short preview of the multicam tools found in Vegas Pro 8

Tony Spring September 4th, 2007 02:03 AM

Thanks for the preview Spot.

I currently cut between multiple cameras using the pan/crop tool and then use the restore script short-cut to quickly undo pan/crop (Thanks Edward!).
This allows me to do some nice PIP effects too, will this be possible with the new multicam tool?

Thanks

Tony

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 4th, 2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 738890)
Thanks for the preview Spot.

This allows me to do some nice PIP effects too, will this be possible with the new multicam tool?

Thanks

Tony

Nope.
Ultimate S or Excalibur are still your best choices for "cool PIP effects." In fact, VASST offers a PIP plugin (free) for Vegas if you do a lot of that sort of work.

Steven Davis September 4th, 2007 10:50 AM

Well that answers my sneaky suspicions that Edward had written the multi-cam tool for Sony's V8. (I wish I had a V8, ok, that's the only joke I'm telling.)

Edward Troxel September 4th, 2007 12:37 PM

Steven - I wish!!! :-)

They wrote their own. It has a few advantages over the script offerings. However, the scripts also have a few advantages over the new built-in version. It's going to be a matter of what you prefer using - which fits your workflow best.

Personally, I can see using BOTH (the built-in and the scripts) for different projects/different needs.

Mark Stavar September 4th, 2007 05:04 PM

Anyone interested in enlightening us on the perceived pro's and con's of the built-in vs. scripting approaches to multi-cam?

Ta,

marks

Edward Troxel September 4th, 2007 06:53 PM

To me, the big pro of the built-in tool is the tighter integration with the GUI - mainly that you can click on the camera angle in the preview window to switch cameras.

The advantage of the scripts is that they currently have more features. Plus, you can easily get back to the the original tracks as needed.

The good thing is that YOU can pick the method you most wish to use!

Urban Skargren September 7th, 2007 02:52 PM

Will Vegas Pro 8 do live multicam switching?

Seth Bloombaum September 7th, 2007 03:29 PM

No. Vegas is an editor, I don't know of any editors that will switch cameras live.

The choices I'm aware of are physical (not software) switchers and the Newtek Tricaster (integrated hardware/software). Sony has a $16,000 US (?) laptop-sized box. I'm sure there are some DJ/VJ tools out there as well.

Urban Skargren September 7th, 2007 11:41 PM

With "live" I meant instantaous switching between for example four camera recordings, where you just click on a camera and that camera goes down to the timeline. I think this is possible in FCP and PPo.

Theodore McNeil September 8th, 2007 12:06 AM

yes the new vegas will be able to do that.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 8th, 2007 09:48 AM

This is currently possible with InfinitiCAM, Excalibur, and Ultimate S for Vegas as well. It's been available for 3 previous versions.

Edward Troxel September 8th, 2007 03:29 PM

People have complained about Vegas not having multi-cam but Vegas has had an automated means of Multi-cam available since version 4.0 (around April of 2003). Live/Instantaneous switching was added in version 6.0b (summer of 2005).

Renton Maclachlan September 29th, 2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 739323)
To me, the big pro of the built-in tool is the tighter integration with the GUI - mainly that you can click on the camera angle in the preview window to switch cameras.

The advantage of the scripts is that they currently have more features. Plus, you can easily get back to the the original tracks as needed.

The good thing is that YOU can pick the method you most wish to use!

Does this mean that you can use both the v8 multicam and scripts (excalibar?) on the same project?

I'm new to this. What does this 'tighter integration with gui' mean?

Edward Troxel September 29th, 2007 08:44 PM

Actually, you could use both in the same project but NOT on the same sections.

"tighter integration" mainly means you can click on the camera angle on the Preview window with the new built-in version. With the scripting versions, you still need to use the script buttons. EITHER version will let you use keypresses but you have to manually assign the scripting versions.