DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Very slow rendering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/102794-very-slow-rendering.html)

Renton Maclachlan September 4th, 2007 07:00 AM

Very slow rendering

I am rendering out my latest project. I know rendering takes a long time and I've had projects go up to 5 hours (1.7gb processor), but this one is going super slow.

I am rendering to PAL DV.

One of the first clips is a piece I ripped to 'mpeg2 movie' off a dvd I had produced. It contains two pips. It is literally rendering at about a frame a second. Is this normal?

I set it going before but because the render time had climbed to 12 hours, I decided to stop it and reboot and start again. But I see it is just going really slow this time as well. Fortunately there are only two clips like this in the project but there is one more at the end which is about 4 times as long as this one and about 2.5 mins - though it doesn't have the pips.

Render time has climbed to 9 hours and still counting with 2% done. Looks like it is heading back to the 12 hours!!!! Maybe it will speed up when it is off this clip.

Steven Davis September 4th, 2007 08:26 AM

Slow could me several things. It could mean that your drive is fragmented, it could be that your project is a little more than you processor can handle, It could mean that you have a ton of corrections, effects etc.

I would bet that it has something to do with effects etc. I know if you ad something such as color correction to lets say a 40 minute wedding, you increase your render time significantly. If you have another machine you could test to see if it's a hardware issue..

Renton Maclachlan September 4th, 2007 01:39 PM

Well.... it's morning (7 hours later) and it is 41% done with another 9.5 hours to go. Perhaps I should have done a defrag - forgot about that.

But yes, it is about an hour long with colour correction on two tracks...with chromakey on both tracks...

Another lesson learnt...

Perhaps I need a faster computor!

Mike Kujbida September 4th, 2007 03:07 PM

I worked on a project last summer that took my work computer (P4 3.4GHz) 3 hr. to render a 10 min. video.
There was a lot of chroma key and other assorted FX in almost every single scene.
What I'm saying is that, given the speed of your computer, the render time sounds about right.
BTW, my new quad core only took 27 min. to render that project :-)

Renton Maclachlan September 4th, 2007 11:32 PM

Well.. I got home from work to find that the render had finished!

Praise the Lord there were no powercuts!!!

It finally took 16 hours 19 minutes and 49 seconds...

Now I had better do a defrag...

Jason Robinson September 6th, 2007 11:37 AM

Don't even try 3D compositing....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 739405)
Well.. I got home from work to find that the render had finished!

Praise the Lord there were no powercuts!!!

It finally took 16 hours 19 minutes and 49 seconds...

Now I had better do a defrag...

This video I created is only 1:46 long but it took about 3 hours to render. Do the math and that is 3180 frames with 10800 seconds to render leaving me with 3.3 seconds per frame. Yeah. slooooooooo.

There are 10 layers of video & 10 of static text that are 3D composited, tilted, and moving slowly out of frame of view with 4 audio tracks. That rendered horribly slow. Vegas is just not built for massive compositing like that. It works, but very slowly. I was glad to have a Core 2 Duo system to sit that render on while I finished working on other parts on my slower P4HT system.