School me on DML... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 6th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

School me on DML...

What's going on everyone. I was reading Douglas Spotted Eagle's book Vegas 6. (I have Vegas 7.0e) Even though I read about the DML section, I still have a question:

I read in Stu Maschwitz' book The DV Rebel's guide, that you should NEVER render in the NLE because of loss in quality, and get the footage from the NLE to Adobe After effects. This is no problem in Adobe Premiere Pro 2 to After effects thanks to Adobe Bridge, but I feel more at ease with Vegas. Does the DML fuction allow me to get the footage to go to After effects without recompression and losing quality in the footage?

Like I said, I need more info on this. Appreciate the help fellas...

Last edited by Michael Vaden; September 6th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.
Michael Vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Michael,

I've never tried to bring a Vegas project into another NLE or After Effects so I'm not sure if it can be done well (I doubt it). Premiere is probably the way to go if you must work in AE. That said you might wait a few days (Sept. 10) when Sony releases Vegas 8.0 which has something they call "32 bit float rendering". It may give you something closer to AE render quality.

Depending on your output Medium Vegas gives pretty good quality. I've compared output from Premiere CS3 DVD files and I like Vegas better for down conversion from HDV to SD. Perhaps the AE renders are more important for film projection?

Regards,

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Export as uncompressed AVI from Vegas to After Effects.
To go back to Vegas, export a PNG or TARGA image sequence from AE. The file size will be less than an uncompressed AVI and it'll still hold alpha channel information.
Import this into Vegas as an Image Sequence which will appear in your timline as a single clip.
Credit for the image sequence idea goes to Mike Jones on the DMN forum who knows AE a lot better than I do (which is zero!!).
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Major Player

This is something i've wondered about once aswell. Do you know if bringin the project back into vegas as a PNG or TARGA image sequence will result in any resolution loss? The main worry for me is the inital render of uncompressed avi from vegas to AE, although its uncompressed it still has to undergo the render procedure which as far as im aware is going to incur some resoluion loss. Basically what im saying is, anytime you have to render from the vegas timeline whether it be avi uncompressed or avi pal dv there is still going to be some added compression which is the whole issue someone would want to avoid if they plan to take their footage into after effects. Could someone please shed some light on this? Thank you
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Here's the thread on the DMN forum where I got that tip.
The replies from Mike J (posts 2 & 4) are where I got the information about using an image sequence.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Major Player

I have exported an .aaf file and opened it up in Vegas. So you can do a rough cut in Vegas then finish in AE. You have to be prepared do all your titling and finishing in AE because the only thing that survives the transfer is the cuts.

Last edited by Theodore McNeil; September 6th, 2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: hit enter by accident.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Export as uncompressed AVI from Vegas to After Effects.
To go back to Vegas, export a PNG or TARGA image sequence from AE. The file size will be less than an uncompressed AVI and it'll still hold alpha channel information.
Import this into Vegas as an Image Sequence which will appear in your timline as a single clip.
Credit for the image sequence idea goes to Mike Jones on the DMN forum who knows AE a lot better than I do (which is zero!!).
So should I check the DML box before exporting the file as an uncompressed AVI file? Can I also export it as a DV NTSC file as well?
Michael Vaden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...