Urgent help: Subtitles in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Urgent help: Subtitles in Vegas

I desperately need help: I try to figure out a way to put subtitles under my film that I will than render for web use. I searched the Vegas help, I searched the web, but all I could come up with was how to create subtitles for a DVD. Is it duable? How? Do I need a pug-in or something? I can use Vegas Studio 8.0 or Vegas 7.0.
Thanks for any assistance,
Matthias
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Drop a text event (use the Default Test in the Generated Media tab) on the timeline over top of the first video clip.
Enter your first set of text.
Get the text type (Arial works well), size (try 16 or 18 as a starting point), position (bottom centre), colour (stick with white at 235-235-235) and outline (use black at 16-16-16) set to your satisfaction.
Forget about using a Drop Shadow on the text as it's too distracting.
If you find the text to be too bright, lower the text event's Opacity.
Now do a copy/paste of this event to the next position and change the text accordingly.
Repeat until done.

edit: do the first few subtitles and then render that section out using your web settings to see if the text is readable. If not, increase the size and try it again until you're happy with it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #3

Or you could use a script to insert markers with labels, labels coming from a .txt file, and then have a custom script written that would create text events on your timeline.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Major Player

VASST SubText - Easily add subtitles to your projects :)
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Just wanted to thank everybody for their quick replies. It really helped - even though I fell victim to the bad resolution of my client's web player... Also, from your experience, what do you prefer: When shorter subtitels show up only a short amount of time or longer titels (two lines) longer?
You can see what I did here: http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/...ro/597371.html
No very good yet, but I'm working on it...
Anyway, thanks again,
Matthias
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...