DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 8 Pro - Is Quicktime a must? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/103217-vegas-8-pro-quicktime-must.html)

John Miller September 10th, 2007 09:23 AM

Vegas 8 Pro - Is Quicktime a must?

According to Sony's System Requirements for Vegas 8 Pro:

QuickTime 7.1.6 or later

Is this an absolute must or only if you want to import/export .MOV files?

The reason I ask is that I flatly refuse to install Quicktime because it stomps all over the OS leaving bits of iTunes everywhere.

Greg Boston September 10th, 2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller (Post 741948)
The reason I ask is that I flatly refuse to install Quicktime because it stomps all over the OS leaving bits of iTunes everywhere.

You have the option to install Quicktime without iTunes. Or maybe I'm missing something there.

-gb-

Edward Troxel September 10th, 2007 09:29 AM

Only if you want to use .MOV videos, TIFF images, or whatever else QuickTime is used to import. I have Vegas 8 running on a machine with QuickTime version 6.5 but have not attempted importing anything which requires QuickTime.

John Miller September 10th, 2007 01:04 PM

Thanks for your prompt replies.

The last time I installed QT (not Pro), I didn't get the choice re. iTunes. In fact, the whole installation was splattered with iTunes logos, blurb etc. I found that version of QT (7, I believe) to be no more useful than previous versions and I positively detested the greyed-out buttons labelled "Get Pro!" or something like that. When I uninstalled it, all kinds of remnants remained on my PC, including iTunes icons on all my media files.

Perhaps it is just the freebie version(?)

Years ago, when I used EditDV (anyone else use that?), I wrote plug-ins for it. Since it was a QT-based app, I used Apple's software development kits etc to create QT plug-ins. I was quite happy with QT then :-)

Emre Safak September 10th, 2007 01:13 PM

It's easy to install Quicktime without iTunes on a PC. Macs might be different.

John Miller September 10th, 2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak (Post 742085)
It's easy to install Quicktime without iTunes on a PC. Macs might be different.

Thanks, Emre.

Maybe when I'm feeling a little more brave I'll give it another go.

Seth Bloombaum September 10th, 2007 01:51 PM

Just look carefully for the appropriate installer at apple.com/quicktime.

Edward Troxel September 10th, 2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller
Years ago, when I used EditDV (anyone else use that?)

Absolutely, that was my first NLE. Used it through Cinestream 3.1 when, after it was owned by 3 companies in one year and wasn't going to be updated anymore, I switched to Vegas 2 and haven't looked back since.

As for Quicktime, there is a separate installer that does not include iTunes. Just do a search for the "standalone" installer on Apple's site.

Emre Safak September 10th, 2007 02:10 PM

You should see two links here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

One of them is with iTunes; the other without...

John Miller September 10th, 2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 742106)
Absolutely, that was my first NLE. Used it through Cinestream 3.1 when, after it was owned by 3 companies in one year and wasn't going to be updated anymore, I switched to Vegas 2 and haven't looked back since.

It was my third - 'd been using Premiere since 1.0 and Ulead Mediastudio. Both were too buggy for sustained use. EditDV came along and was so refreshing! I really don't understand why it became an orphan - being sent from pillar to post.

Quote:

As for Quicktime, there is a separate installer that does not include iTunes. Just do a search for the "standalone" installer on Apple's site.
And to Emre, too: Thanks for the tip. Apple must have gotten feedback and made an iTunes-free option available. Or I overlooked it.

Greg Boston September 10th, 2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller (Post 742137)
IAnd to Emre, too: Thanks for the tip. Apple must have gotten feedback and made an iTunes-free option available. Or I overlooked it.

Yeah John, they don't make it that obvious. But that's what I meant when I originally replied. Should have elaborated more on the separate installer link but the other guys chimed in so all is well.

Good luck,

-gb-

Reg Gothard September 10th, 2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller (Post 742077)
Years ago, when I used EditDV (anyone else use that?),

Perhaps... maybe... I'm possibly the only person in the world still using EditDV <grin>

Still running version 2 - the Radius firewire card is still holding out. Got a spare off ebay last year "just in case"...
Tried MediaStudio Pro 7 three(?) years ago - couldn't get used to it in the time I had available, so have been editing in EditDV, printing to tape, then using Ulead DVD Workshop to reload tapes and author DVDs. Sheeesh!!

Bought Vegas 6 & 7 last year, and have done a couple of little things in it - am currently editing my first full-size project in Vegas. Pleasure and pain!

Have been reading Edward's tips newsletters, browsing Vegas forums etc., and am finally beginning to feel I'm controlling the s/w and not vice versa. Thinking I'll be investing in Excalibur soon...
Will still be using EditDV for a while yet - to do rush jobs, until I'm truly up to speed on Vegas.
I still have a few things to find out how to do as well/quickly in Vegas as EditDV - will give it another few projects before perhaps asking if one of you ex-EditDV-ers remember...
Cheers

Edward Troxel September 10th, 2007 08:06 PM

I remember having to relearn in Vegas how to do some things from EditDV. For the most part, it was a fairly painless process. MANY things are easier in Vegas. A very few require extensive work arounds.