Anyone want to state their opinion of V8 yet? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #16
Major Player

I'm finding Vegas 8 to be much quicker while previewing and fine tuning my cuts on the timeline. It's much smarter the way it refreshes when zooming in and out of the timeline in icon mode. Completely stable so far.

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I have 7 and downloaded 8 trial. I had heard people were having trouble with
Cineform files. I had absolutely no trouble. I loaded a 7 project, it worked fine, with the Cineform intermediate material I had in the project. It rendered a new Cineform intermediate file without issue.

I heard some bad things about the titler from first reviewers, and when I first looked at it, it seemed a bit weak. But on closer inspection, I see you can easily animate things using a time line and the new controls, and do all manner of motion with the titles. Looks like you can animate the gradiants too. I'm betting there is a lot more there than first reviewers realize, but I will do a bit more investigating there.

I noted the default layout of 8 came up different than the default layout of 7. Preview window, files and effects, etc, is at top with time line at bottom, like Premiere. I know I can rearrange 7 in same way, but I am curious if Vegas considered that change to impress Premiere users.

I general, seems to operate smoother, and I think it is worth the update. And I am sure we will be seeing some things from the experts around here that will reveals some special features.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Apppreciate the feedback. It is sad to read the lukewarm endorsements after the huge expectations...

As I remember it, this is pretty much the way it was with Vegas 7. There was a whole lot of excitement, speculations and hopes for features to be included whatever they were. When it was released and people saw that a number of the things they had hoped for were not there they then considered the upgrade as being ho-hum. Biggest hopes last time was for 10 bit and a new titler. For what it is worth, we got them this time.

My first impressions of Vegas 7 were ho-hum until I played around with it and discovered the new snapping tool. I can't edit without it now.

My post was a first impressions of Vegas Pro 8. I prayed about it and bought it right after I posted that message.

As I learn more about the benefits of VP8 I will soon discover that I do not want to go back to Vegas 7 just as I soon discovered I did not want to go back to Vegas 6. I started with Vegas 6 by the way.

I went to Vegas from Ulead's MSP8. It was like going from editing hell to editing heaven!!!

I'm happy!

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

It might take some more experience with 8 to fully appreciate it...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
As I remember it, this is pretty much the way it was with Vegas 7.
...and 4, and 5, and 6....

unavoidable given human anticipation and ease of disappointment. Appreciation/shakedown will take time
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #21
Major Player

I just started editing with the multicam and it's very well implemented. While Excalibur is great and I will still use it on many projects and for many other tasks, the ability to switch in and out of multicam and the fluid response of Vegas while using it works very nicely. The "takes" function of Vegas remains one of my favorite features of this program.

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #22
Major Player

VP8 now lets me open and edit my Panasonic AVCHD HE files...and the Canon HG10 AVCHD, although Sony doesn't admit to supporting any but their own AVCHD. I did check to see if installing VP8 would somehow make VP7 now accept these files...and it doesn't. Well, for this, the titler improvements, and 32 bit processing, it is a worthy upgrade.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #23
Major Player

Frankly, I'm not one to think that messing with something that already works is really that great of an idea anyway. I think Sony's got it right in that they seem to spend a fair amount of time trying to make their software faster, more compatable and stable 1st, then they attack features but they don't try to add more then they can handle. To resolve this, they continue to offer these upgrades at an extremely reasonable price ($150... cheap) to all existing users to continue on. If they upgrade once a year, I just can't see how $150/year for an editor as good as this can be a bad thing. The upgrade is almost worthy enough just to either have a second copy of Vegas or to support Sony Vegas alone..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #24
Trustee

Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
To resolve this, they continue to offer these upgrades at an extremely reasonable price ($150... cheap) to all existing users to continue on. If they upgrade once a year, I just can't see how $150/year for an editor as good as this can be a bad thing.
And with the bundle they offer for Cinescore & 2 theme packs (despite its pretty crappy interface and very limited control over music creation) that is still a pretty good deal for software.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Should I uninstall Vegas 7 first?

How does Vegas 8 install? Should I uninstall 7 first? Does 8 install in a different directory? Could not find an answer in the help file.

Thanks,
Robert
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #26
Inner Circle

No need to uninstall v7 as v8 will install in a new directory.

I think accepted wisdom is to leave 7 installed for a while - nothing worse than finding an old project or plugin won't work with the latest version when you have a tight client deadline to meet! Wait until you're entirely happy with v8.

(I just realised that I still have 6 installed!)

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #27
Major Player

First thing I noticed was the new Pro8 shortcuts didn't have a unique icon.....just a generic windows icon.
Is that true for everyone, or did something go wrong on my install.

Other than that, it seems OK. I did have one auto-exit while I was fooling around with the new titler..

Bob T.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #28
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
First thing I noticed was the new Pro8 shortcuts didn't have a unique icon.....just a generic windows icon.
Is that true for everyone, or did something go wrong on my install.
My icon is definitely NOT "generic". I'd say something went wrong if your icon is generic. It looks like a round circle with a camera lense in the middle.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
My icon is definitely NOT "generic". I'd say something went wrong if your icon is generic. It looks like a round circle with a camera lense in the middle.
I knew that wasn't correct....
I'll try a re-install tonight...
Who knows, that may not be all that's wrong.

Thanks Ed,
Bob T.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Bob, are you sure your icon isn't the proper Vegas one? It's as Edward described it - I think it's supposed to be a front on view of a camera with a matte box. Actually it's a bit uninspiring really, which is why I ask the question - you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a stock Windows icon!
Attached Images

Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...