lcd hdtv external monitor flipping about/going green at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lcd hdtv external monitor flipping about/going green

Does anyone know what is causing this? I have the Pyro AV link and I'm using it to go out to my lcd hdtv as an external preview. But when I do, the image stays on for about 2 seconds, then flips about and produces a green screen and color bars, then flips back to the image. Then repeats. If I connect to a regular tv, it does the same thing. And it does this with any output connection I use. Component, Composite, S-video.

EDIT: it's still not working really, although the frequency of the greening screen and color bars has dropped quite a bit, it still does it. I changed the DIP switch from the WinXP setting to DVcam setting is all.

Last edited by Sean Skube; September 12th, 2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: didn't figure it out
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I got an email from ads that says this.
" Response(Tech 7 ) -9/12/2007 8:10:35 AM
This type of issue would usually indicate that the AV Link is losing the video signal from the source. Does this issue occur at the same point during the video feed or does it happen at different places? If it is at the same spot, it most likely means that there is a bad spot in the video signal at that point, which causes the AV Link to lose the signal. But if the problem is happening inconsistantly, it will most likely mean there is a problem with the AV Link itself, especially since you have tested different sources. If that is the case, I would suggest to go ahead and exchange it for a repalcement. "

The problem happens at different times, and even happens when I have the video paused. So I'm guessing that means I need to return it. If anyone thinks they might know how to fix the issue though, please let me know. Just in case.

Last edited by Sean Skube; September 12th, 2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: tech support
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It would be worth testing with a different firewire cable.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think you might be on to something there. I'll have to do more testing, but so far, connecting a 6pin from the computer to the Pyro's 4pin firewire might be stable. I was using the 6pin input on the Pyro with the 6 to 6 wire it came with. There was a bit of a hiccup when I switched wires while the computer and avlink were both on, but I restarted and I'm hoping that does the trick and it doesn't disconnect or anything. I'll keep you posted if this works or not.
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok, it's no longer doing that, but now there are big blocky chunks of the screen that lag behind whenever the image changes, like when it's playing, or if I move the time slider to another part of the project. Gotta figure out what's causing that. some kind of refresh problem?
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

hmm. weird. I unplugged the 4pin to 6pin firewire, got myself a new 6pin to 6pin, and now it's working. But I had to plug it in, unplug it, then plug it back in, because the first time I plugged it in, it was still producing those blocks. But it's working now, and hopefully will stay that way. Thanks for your help Seth!
Sean Skube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...