Moving events in a large project. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 12th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Moving events in a large project.

I am working on quite a large project (52 different timelines/2 + hours in length). I originally had this broke down into 10 different .veg files and then nested them into one, but it wasnt working out for me that way so I just cut and copied the different projects into one for editing that way. Now that the entire project is in a "master" veg file...I am finding it quite time consuming to edit the small stuff I need to polish up. My problem is selecting the objects to move everything to the right in order to insert another clip somewhere in the middle. I thought you could create a region and "select all" that way, but unless I am missing something, it doesnt work that way. The only way I found to do this is to find that point where the clip is going....go thru all 52 timelines and select the first event of that timeline and "select all to end", or - use the selection tool and highlight everything, then move it that way. The marquee selection tool wouldnt be THAT bad, but it is sometimes quite easy to drag down all 52 timelines and miss that first object in a timeline, and then when I select all events to the end, I miss that one timeline. PLEASE tell me that I am missing something very simple that would allow me to create a region, select all the objects in the region, and move them that way. I am almost certain that this is a Vegas 101 question and solution, but I am not finding it.
Jim Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Have you tried using the selection tool? That should let you easily pick a large number of events.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Moving events.

Actually yes,..I was just looking for an alternate way other then clicking and dragging down 52 time lines and over 1+hours of video to make certain I dont miss that first event in any given timeline. Some time lines have an event that starts an hour+ from where I am inserting a new clip. Therefore if I am not careful, and I miss a timeline and we all know what can happen then. So there is no way to select all events in a selected region?
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #4

There's also "Insert - Time". Adding and deleting can be done via Ripple editing but you have to be really careful.
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It's really worth investing some time in learning the various modes of the ripple tool, especially the post-edit keyboard shortcuts.

Most handy is the post-edit shortcut ctrl-shift-f. Try it after you drag a single event to the right to open up space for a new clip, it will move all subsequent events, regions and markers. Then, use it again after you tighten up after your insert. The post-edit ripple commands can also be found on the Edit menu.

Auto-ripple (menu-bar button) is a bit trickier to use, I only use it when I'm doing a lengthy series of ripple edits, I leave it turned off for most editing.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Seth,..does that command control ALL tracks in a project or just the adjacent material to the inserted clip?
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #7

Ripple *CAN* control all tracks. Or it can control just some things. It would really pay to read up in the help file about the various ripple options.
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #8
New Boot

Why wasn't the approach of working on smaller segments and nesting those .vegs working for you?

I think it would take a super-human effort to use the type of workflow you describe.

For MY workflow, smaller segments, sometimes with multiple instances of Vegas open simultaneously works really well.
Rick Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...