DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Looking for a way to record every 2-3 seconds, jittery look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/103534-looking-way-record-every-2-3-seconds-jittery-look.html)

David Delaney September 13th, 2007 08:15 PM

Looking for a way to record every 2-3 seconds, jittery look

I want to record about every 2-3 seconds for a jittery look, but I STILL want the video to match up with the audio in length. Is there a plugin for this or a script ? Just looking for a way to set the rate that it will render out in this style. This is a stylist video I am making...

Thanks

Emre Safak September 13th, 2007 08:31 PM

Right click on the clip and select properties. Adjust the undersample rate.

Don Bloom September 13th, 2007 08:36 PM

Hmmm, not sure the undersample rate will give the jittery look you're looking for. You may need to use a plugin such as Excalibur. It has a strobing feature OR NewBlueFXs has a couple of jittery type FXs OR the old Vegas Quake if it's still around can definitely give you the effect iI think you want.

Don

David Delaney September 13th, 2007 08:46 PM

I guess I am looking for an effect like with animation, if a person did not draw all the frame, but every 48th frame or something like that. The motion would be very stilted and not smooth. Wasn't the quake script for shaking the screen?

Don Bloom September 13th, 2007 08:50 PM

yeah it is so perhaps the strobing effect of Ecalibur would be better for what you want to accomplish. Find a pst in Vegas forum by Edward Troxel click on his siggy and that'll take you to the Excalibur site. He authored it and there is a 15 day free and fully functional trial. Give it a shot and see if that'll work for you.

I think its a great program-been using it since it first came out a few years ago and no I don't sell it or have anything to do with it other than being a very satisfied and happy customer :-)

Don

Ian Stark September 14th, 2007 12:44 AM

Just a very quick unresearched reply so I'm not sure if this will or will not meet your needs:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99976

I asked a similar question a while back and here's what I got.

Ian . . .

Don Bloom September 14th, 2007 05:49 AM

Here's another way. Depending on the total lenght of the project and how ambitious you are.

Take the clip and RENDER AS IMAGE SEQUENCE-this could be 100's perhaps 1000s of images BUT by bringing the image sequesnce back to the timeline you can delete at will whatever images you want and use the various other tools like pan crop or track motion to achieve the look you desire.
Something to play with anyway.

Render to Image Sequence is found in the TOOLS>Scripting menu-it's a part of Vegas
Don

Emre Safak September 14th, 2007 06:55 AM

What do you want to show in between those 48 frames?

Greg Boston September 14th, 2007 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak (Post 744266)
What do you want to show in between those 48 frames?

I'm guessing you'd just repeat frames every so often to replace the ones that get pulled. I've been seeing a Lincoln Mercury commercial on recently that has this effect.

-gb-

David Delaney September 14th, 2007 05:22 PM

Don,

That will be a lot of work. I was hoping something would be built-in that would do it, like a script. I am going to try undersampling and see what transpires.

Ian Stark September 15th, 2007 12:55 AM

David, if you haven't already, take a look at Graham Bernard's suggestion in his response to me asking the same question a while ago. I think that might work for you and doesn't seem to require too much effort (see link in my last post to this thread).

David Delaney September 15th, 2007 09:56 AM

Thanks Ian,

I was wondering if this will give me a fast motion instead of playing along with the audio that comes with the clip. I don't want to have to stretch every frame so it stretches out to the audio length when the method has gotten rid of every 3rd frame.

I tried your method (or Grahams) and yes is does work, but I am still stuck with the video being too short and therefore it won't work with the audio...

Colin Sato September 15th, 2007 12:16 PM

Our store recently had a commercial done and they didn't use a video camera at all. They shot with a DSLR @ 5fps. They didn't do any sound since there would be a VO track, but I'd imagine that you could record audio separately?

David Delaney September 15th, 2007 01:12 PM

Yeah, but I want the lips to sync up with the sound. The major challenge is that when I bring the Image Sequence back into Vegas, it is short and faster (because of how I set it up). The issue is trying to get it to be the same size as the original click for when I bring it back in...

Dave Jaques October 2nd, 2007 08:00 PM

re the jittery look

Hi David
I've seen this effect often used to advertise rugby league on the TV - jittery video of players running with the ball etc...

Anyway, If you haven't already solved this, here's a something I tried last night that works....(I'm using Vegas 7, and I've given an example for PAL, but this should work with other versions and frame rates)

1. put your clip on the timeline - let's say it's 60 seconds in length.

2. go to tools/scripts and run the standard script that generates a sequence of images (I can't remember exactly what the function is called - something like 'generate time sequence') The parameters you need are:
start time 00:00:000
finish time 00:01:000
sample time: 00:00:160 (this is 160ms - 4 times the frame rate on a PAL video - which means that the script will select every 4th frame as a jpg image and save it to your selected folder (I've used 4 x to keep the maths simple, but you could experiment with different values to vary the jitter factor)

3. start a new project, and import all the stills that were generated. (you'll have 375 pictures - make sure that the stills duration is set to 40ms in preferences/edit, with no overlap of pictures before you import)

4. render the sequence to HD - this will produce a new .m2t file, 15 seconds in length.

5. start a new project, and import the new .m2t file

6. using the ctrl key and mouse, stretch the video to its maximum ie. 4 x it's current length. This will give you a new video, which is 60 seconds in length, consisting of groups of 4 repeated frames. So it should still line up with the original audio, but it will have the jitter you require.

You can now repeat the sequence as many times as you want, increasing the jitter factor each time.