Vegas 8 AutoSave Custom Command at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 8 AutoSave Custom Command

Vegas Pro 8 users, here's the first available Custom Command for everyone to try. AutoSave will automatically backup your project and also provide multiple time-stamped versions. If Vegas is running, please exit Vegas, install this tool, and then restart Vegas. You can download it from:
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/AutoSave1-0-0.exe

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/AutoSavePicsm.jpg

Once installed, this Custom Command will remain inactive until the initial setup has been performed. To perform the setup, in Vegas Pro 8 go to Tools - Extensions - and pick "AutoSave". Select the various options as desired and set the "Emergency" folder. Once activated, it will automatically save your project every "x" minutes (dependent on what you entered in the setup screen).

AutoSave will automatically start each time Vegas is restarted and create backups with the following methods/restrictions:

1. Every time a project is automatically "backed up", it will be saved a total of three times:
a. Once in the "Emergency" folder with the date/time appended
b. Once in the project folder with the date/time appended
c. Once in the project folder under the original file name

2. It can be turned on or off via the setup screen. When on, there will be a square around the icon in the menu. When off, there will be no square around the icon in the menu.

3. If the current project has never been saved, it will request that you do an initial save the project.

4. It will NOT save if the project hasn't been modified since the last save.

5. It will stop trying to save when rendering is started and will resume saving when rendering is finished.

Requirements: Vegas Pro 8.0 build 144

Last edited by Edward Troxel; September 14th, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Brilliant, Edward. I keep a backup of everything I do on an I-omega, pocket size external HD and carry this with me whenever I leave my house. For a long time I've had an autosave program such as this one for Mirage, my source application, but until today I had to backup Vegas manually.
Thank you for your generosity.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Edward, I followed all your very clear instructions to the letter but I see no results. When I look into the emergency backup folder it remains blank and I have yet to see a square around the icon in the Vegas menu/tools/extensions/autosave
Any suggestions?
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4

Go to Tools - Extensions - AutoSave

That will pop up a dialog box with all the setting options. CHECK the "Automatically Save Every" box. I left that turned OFF by default so it would only start when YOU wanted it to start. Change any other options as desired, and click on OK.

Once turned on, it will remain turned on until you go back to that screen and turn it off.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Major Player

I did all of that but nothing happens. I see no new icon in the destination folder and no other icons in the source folder and no frame formed around the autosave icon. I even rebooted my computer just to try something extra.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6

Do you have an AutoSave.config file? If not, reinstall AutoSave and that should take care of it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Major Player

That didn't change anything so I made a search and found everything saved under Documents and Settings. even though I had pointed Autosave to my external HD. I tried also pointing it to my C: and E: drives and nothing ever shows up in any of those places either. It seems that AS will create autosave.veg.bak only in the C:\Documents and settings.....Vegas Application Extensions directory. Is this the case?
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #8

The "SCRIPT" is saved where you indicated. Once you have it turned on, a project open, and that project has been saved, it will save the PROJECT (i.e. the VEG file)

a) In the "Emergency" folder with the date/time appended
b) In the ORIGINAL PROJECT folder with the date/time appended
c) In the ORIGINIAL PROJECT folder under the original file name

It only creates VEG files and has nothing at all to do with and "autosave.veg" files that Vegas may create on its own.
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Major Player

The AutoSave.config
AutoSave.dll
AutoSave.png

are all there with the other Vegas backup files but nothing shows up on the HD I need it to be.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #10

Those three files should be in the "Application Extensions" folder. They should NOT be "with the other Vegas backup files". If this is the ONLY custom command you have installed (and I've only released two), there should ONLY be FOUR files in that folder (you missed JETDV.gif) and maybe a couple of "uninstall" files.

I think one of us is confused about what the other one means. You should be looking for VEG file in the "Emergency" folder. NOT the actual script files.

I'm not sure where the mis-communication is. Perhaps we should take this to e-mail and see if we can figure out where the mis-communication is happening.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Well, they end up in both those folders. I'll send you my e-mail address via private mail.
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Major Player

For the record, Edward got me straightened out via e-mail and all is well. A neat little script for anyone who is as backup conscience as I am.
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #13

AutoSave has been updated and now version 1.1. You can find the updated version at:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/AutoSave1-1-0.exe

Changes in this version:

1. The "Date/Time" names will no longer appear in the File menu.

2. You can optionally choose to save the "Date/Time" files in either the Emergency folder, the Project folder, or BOTH.

NOTE: Vegas must be shut down while this is installed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...