Impossible to Recapture HDV? (Vegas 7.0d) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Impossible to Recapture HDV? (Vegas 7.0d)

Recapturing HDV clips with Vegas 7.0d doesn't seem to work.

I tried connecting my Canon A1, and right click an offline clip in the Project Media tab. "Recapture" is still greyed out. "Recapture All Offline Media" is selectable, but when I click it nothing happens. (And there's nothing wrong with my firewire connection.)

So I try opening the Capture utility in Vegas, which is how I originally captured my HDV footage. The Clip Log shows a list of all the clips, including those that are currently offline. However there is apparently no start/end timecode info associated with each clip, and when I right click an offline clip in the Clip Log, and select "Capture -> Capture All Clips, Capture Selected Clips, Capture Offline Clips" all these options are grayed out.

I tested recapturing DV footage, which uses a different capture utility within Vegas. Everything behaves as I think it should (it recaptures the clip according to their in/out timecodes like every other NLE I've ever used).

But the Vegas HDV capture utility appears *absolutely worthless,* because apparently it doesn't allow me to:

1. Capture a clip
2. Take that clip offline
3. Recapture the clip according to its original timecode.

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

(btw I do not have Media Manager installed, could this be the problem?)
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Some PCs don't read timecode off of HDV because HDV timecode is encoded directly in a HDV stream through firewire that is different than DV with a separate timecode stream from the video through firewire. Sometimes the PC reads for DV timecode instead of the HDV encoded timecode in HDV capture mode.

Try to approximate the timecodes of the offline files, and manually recapture.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the capture driver "Microsoft AV/C device".
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

But doesn't manually recapturing with approximate timecodes make the entire project file useless? Let's say I've edited a project timeline with 1000 cuts. Then I take all the footage offline. How would I ever be able to recapture and reassemble that exact timeline again?

There must be something else to this equation.

And how do I reinstall that capture driver?

Last edited by Ben Hayflick; September 15th, 2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is what Jack suggests really the only option?

How do I reinstall the capture driver Microsoft AV/C device?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...