Vegas 8 crashes on opening at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8 crashes on opening

I installed the trial of vegas 8 and it crashes when trying to open I have so far installed it on a dual amd dual core 5000 running vista 32 anyone else have this issue?
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Stephen,

Yes, same issue on Vista 32 but not other versions of Windows (inc. Vista 64).

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103544

(Since posting the above, I've bought Vegas and the same applies.)

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I have an update:

When I launch Vegas, the splash screen comes up and it gets as far as "Creating file I/O manager..." and then stops working (i.e., it crashes).

What Vegas is doing is loading a set of file I/O plug-ins that each support a given file format (AVI, MPEG, etc). By a process of elimination I have determined that the offending plug-in is aviplug.dll - the one responsible for AVI file support. Temporarily removing this plug-in from the appropriate Vegas folder allows Vegas to launch properly. Of course, that's little comfort if AVIs are your video format, which mine are exclusively.

I have Microsoft Visual Studio on the computer and so I can break into the program and see where it crashes. It's very interesting. Basically, it's crashing when some program/driver/module is checking to see if it is running in a virtual machine (e.g., VMWare Workstation).

The only thing I can conclude from this is that a codec on the system (either Video for Windows or DirectShow) is checking to see if it is running on a virtual machine (perhaps in violation of a licensing agreement).

On another Vista 32-bit system everything runs fine. The next step to isolate the offending codec (if that is the problem) is to compare machines and then systematically disable those which are only on the problem machine. But I really don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

I have submitted my findings to Sony's technical support. I'll post any developments.

John.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Major Player

try installing the newest neoplayer I think that has solved the opening issue have not checked if it still crashes when I go to do anything. I will repost if its is all fixed when I have a few minutes to play in it.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't have Neoplayer, so my problem must lie elsewhere, unfortunately.

Since curiosity always gets the better of me, I created a restore point and unregistered every single codec/filter (about 112 of them). Didn't help so a registered them all again (I automated it so it wasn't as painful as it sounds).

I've just installed Visual Studio on another Vista system and Vegas is okay. I also added Windows Media Encoder. So basically everything is the same but Vegas doesn't crash. More careful inspection shows I have a slightly earlier build of Visual Studio, so I will uninstall it and install the later one. Why that would make a difference, I don't know but stranger things have happened.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #6
Major Player

do you have any cineform neohd/hdv/ aspect or prospect? any could be a cause Sony actually includes one of the cineform codecs which caused me problems in the past till the previous update was released. You may want to install neoplayer if you have none of the others and see if it helps you any
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Stephen,

I've just started looking through the Vegas installation folder to see if there is anything there along the lines you mention. Along the way, I found that there is another version of aviplug.dll that sits in the Vidcap Plug-Ins folder. I replaced the offending version with it and the problem has gone away. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet but I was able to import a DV AVI file and scrub it on the timeline.

I wonder what the differences are....

So now I can start working on some compiled extensions :-)

John.
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

did you ever find a solution? im having the same problem
Kev O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev O'Brien View Post
did you ever find a solution? im having the same problem
No, I still use the other version of the aviplug.dll.

Sony did get back to me - thanking me for my extensive information that I provided :o) - they didn't have much to offer but I can reopen the ticket anytime I like.

I haven't tried reverting back to the "right" version of the file since applying the Vegas update.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
I haven't tried reverting back to the "right" version of the file since applying the Vegas update.
Well, it seems I hadn't applied the update yet on my Vista system, so I just did and I am happy to report that the newer version of the aviplug.dll file behaves itself.

Problem fixed in my case.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Look behind the splash.

It's possible that you have a codec that is freaking out a bit. It could either be straight-up crashing or it could be popping under the splash.

This is, sadly, a fairly common thing, even though codec and plug-in specifications specifically warn against popping any user-interface in non user-interface calls.

Make sure that you don't have another button in your start-bar from a newly-running program.

-Matt
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chaboud View Post
It's possible that you have a codec that is freaking out a bit. It could either be straight-up crashing or it could be popping under the splash.

This is, sadly, a fairly common thing, even though codec and plug-in specifications specifically warn against popping any user-interface in non user-interface calls.

Make sure that you don't have another button in your start-bar from a newly-running program.

-Matt
I was able to attach Vegas to my debugger and see what was crashing it. Strangely, the very part that caused the crash was a piece of code that looks to see if the software is running on a VMWare virtual machine - most peculiar. I provided Sony with a complete dump of the crash - I'm sure they made good use of it. Anyway, it's all working now, thankfully!
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...