Going back to 7d. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm still using Vegas 6. I'm scared to upgrade because of all the bad feedback I've read on 7 and 8. With the earlier versions its stability was one of the major features I liked.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Measel View Post
I'm still using Vegas 6. I'm scared to upgrade because of all the bad feedback I've read on 7 and 8. With the earlier versions its stability was one of the major features I liked.
Vegas 4 - a GREAT standard def editor, best release ever.

If you're working with HDV it is a real shame to stop with V6, because V7 and V8 offer so much good stuff for an HDV workflow.

IMO "all the bad feedback" is posted by a small minority of users; after all, we use these forums to get help when we have a problem. (***edit*** a minority who are experiencing real problems that ought to be fixed in the next V8 release!)

I've had maybe one crash of V7e, and no crashes of V8, I'd guess that most users are not having issues with these releases.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; September 25th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Good edit Seth! Was just gonna get all cross and huffy!!

I have always found Vegas to be very stable - in fact even now it's only when I'm working with the titler (correction only when I USED to work with the new titler) that it falls over. For now, anyway!

Whether that's a problem with Vegas in general that is only being seen by users that are doing specific tasks in a specific way, or those users who push Vegas to its limits, or whether it is users with certain combinations of hardware, drivers etc, is the tough issue to identify!

Either way it's good to know (from past performance) that the developers work to resolve these issues and release regular updates. Four or five a year I guess.

Looking forward to 8.0a.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #19
Regular Crew

After having the first typical problems by upgrading to version 8 (capture module was not working properly, programme crashed when clicking on a file in the project media files, etc.) I decided to do a complete new installation of my video computer.

Under Windows XP (E6600 with 3GB RAM) I only installed Vegas 8 (without installing Version 7 as well) and Adobe Audition - and - guess what - everything works very well. No more crashes, nothing.

:-)

Marcus
Marcus Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I have had V8 crash a few times. I hope the next update will resolve these issues.

Last edited by Albert Rodgers; December 16th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: revision
Albert Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Dotnet 3

Sometime I wonder whether some of the problems arise out of Sony overinstalling things and not checking previous versions, especially if you use Cineform, Soundforge and Vegas.
Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to brute force install these even though a higher version already exists on the computer at the time of install. Could this stuff things up??
So when installing, as I only have Soundforge 8 I install this first which only wants .NET Framework 1, then Cineform which I think wanted .NET Framework 2, then Vegas which puts on .NET Framework 3.
In the old days programs would look first for example, what version of DirectX is already installed and then only install if it had a newer version, the Sony line of software seems to fail to do so. I maybe wrong as it's been a while since I installed, but I wonder if there could be something to this as I recall in years pass that reinstalling DirectX over a newer version for example would cause instability probs?
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Adam, you could be right in general, but I don't think multiple versions of .net could be a problem.

.net is actually 3 or 4 different software installations that can peacefully coexist on the pc. (4 because 1.1 seems to be a different installation than 1). You never "upgrade" .net, when you install eg. 3 on top of 1.1 or 2, it just adds additional libraries of procedure calls.

At least for my limited understanding... I've been working with a programmer who writes apps in .net, he's now at MS, and I have a full set of .net on several computers without issues. And yes, V7 and V8 run fine for me.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...