Anyone running Vegas 8 on Mac Hardware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone running Vegas 8 on Mac Hardware

'Curious if anyone is running Vegas 8 on BootCamp or Parallels. How stable is it for you and how much of a performance hit do you get? The "mac" side tempts me.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Running Vegas 7.0d and 8.0 on a Mac Pro 2.66 quad Xeon under Bootcamp/XP Pro SP2. Very happy since I can use Final Cut Studio on the Mac side for things Vegas doesn't do as well. I share files on a FAT32 formatted internal disk.

Way faster than the Dell 3 gHz P4 I was using before. Mac Pro has 5 gigs of RAM; of course Windows cannot use all of it.

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dave. If you use Vegas to render say a 10 minute project with CC, how long does it typically take you? Preview near real time on your quadcore?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure I have done a 10 min piece with CC throughout to say for sure. Just did a 13 minute somewhat complex piece with some CC, lots of New Blue and Pixelan transitions, a lot of track motion, etc. Rendered an MPEG2 in a good deal less than real time.

But then I do prerenders first so I'm not sure what it would do if told to start the render from scratch. Prerenders go by pretty fast, though.

Preview speed varies depending on complexity at the moment. I still use the render to RAM (Shift B) to make sure of timing before committing to a transition. Dissolves appear to be realtime.

In general, Vegas is very responsive on a Mac Pro. Haven't tried all of Pro 8 yet to know if there are any issues. I'd recommend the 30 inch Cinema Display if dollars permit.....really puts stuff in view.

I just have the stock 7300 video card since Vegas would not use the faster one.
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Vegas on the Mac

Running similar specs as Dave's machine...
Only problem I have is that when I use the 2nd monitor I cannot for the life of me get the preview to run at Best auto (or full) it is blurry or it runs at 15-18 fps
(this is with DV clips)

this machine is the one I use at work (high school teacher)
my old home machine (Pentium D 2 GB RAM) runs HD and DV clips very smooth hovering around 27-29 fps with a clear sharp picture

I believe I have all the same settings for both machines. Anyone have any suggestions.
When I use Final Cut Studio on the Mac the 2nd monitor is crystal clear and sharp with the DV and HDV clips!

I'm sure it's something simple...but my students are complaining about the fuzziness!

Jason
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...