DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   "Glow" FX causes flickering type interferance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/104635-glow-fx-causes-flickering-type-interferance.html)

Jason Donaldson September 29th, 2007 12:58 PM

"Glow" FX causes flickering type interferance

I am currently editing my first wedding video. I have applied the "Glow" effect to certain portions of the edited video. During preview on my external monitor (or within Vegas's preview window for that matter) everything plays perfectly the way I want it. However, after rendering and playing back the file, I get a sort of choppy, flickering at the top of the screen (both on my PC and on my TV after creating a test DVD) in the glowing white areas. Can anyone tell me if I am rendering improperly, or doing something wrong?

I am hoping that this isn't "just one of those things" in Vegas as the bride requested the glowing B&W effect for her Bridal Prep video.

Jason

PS: Not sure if this makes a difference but I have slowed down the clips (ctrl-drag)

Mike Kujbida September 30th, 2007 06:17 AM

Rather than the Sony glow FX (severely blows out the whites which I suspect is the problem), try NewBlue's Halovision.
It's free but you will have to register at the site to download it.

Jason Donaldson September 30th, 2007 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info Mike...will give it a try

Terry Esslinger October 1st, 2007 11:52 AM

You might color correct and use a 235 white instead of 255 white.??

Jason Donaldson October 1st, 2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger (Post 752652)
You might color correct and use a 235 white instead of 255 white.??

Not sure what you mean by 235 instead of 255...I'm pretty new to Vegas

Jeff Harper October 2nd, 2007 08:33 AM

You might try using less of the Glow effect, such as highlights instead of the full blown version of the effect. I use the glow fx with great results, but it is not appropriate or effective with all clips, and my experience is is must be tweaked and controlled, used sparingly. You might need to explain to your bride that the glow effect doesn't always work well with all footage.

If you have magic bullet that came with vegas 7 try using the auto art effect, but of course your rendering time will be much longer.
Good luck!

Ken Plotin October 2nd, 2007 09:53 AM

I've also found that changing the glow color to approximate the skin tone color allows more subtle control to prevent highlight blowouts.
Hope this helps.
Ken

Jason Donaldson October 2nd, 2007 06:30 PM

I figured out that I get the "twitchy, choppy artifacts at the top of the screen whenever I slow down the video clip (either crtl-drag or velocity envelope method), with or withour FX. I am starting to panic here because I have tried all sorts of rendering output types and used the "reduce interlace flicker" switch but nothing is working. Can anyone tell me why it does this and what can be done to fix it?

Footage comes from a Sony HVR-A1U captured into MPEG2 format recorded at 108060i downconverted into SD.

PS: I would show anyone interested a sample of the clip I rendered so you can see what the problem is for yourself, but I have no idea where to upload the clip to.