DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Easy way to create a lower third for titles? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/104700-easy-way-create-lower-third-titles.html)

Mike Costantini September 30th, 2007 04:48 PM

Easy way to create a lower third for titles?

I'm not advanced with Vegas 7 but I would like to be able to create a simple lower third to use over and over again in this DVD I'm making. Can someone help me do this?

Eric Weiss September 30th, 2007 06:47 PM

simple, inside vegas would be to open a new video track and add the color of your choice from "media gens." open that track for track motion and move it down to the lower third area and select your opacity and add your text.

Mike Costantini September 30th, 2007 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made one, how does this look? Are safe regions still a big issue on today's televisions? I'm previewing this on a 20" samsung flat screen crt tv and when I put the text just inside the inner safe region, it looks so high from the bottom on the TV..

Edward Troxel September 30th, 2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Costantini (Post 752374)
Are safe regions still a big issue on today's televisions?

Absolutely - if you want it to work on the largest number of displays possible.

Eric Weiss September 30th, 2007 08:27 PM

Looks good! Yes, TV's can crop up to 20% around the edge. Use the guides and output to a few monitors if you can. You'll learn the safe areas pretty quick.

Mike Costantini September 30th, 2007 08:52 PM

I'm just using the default safe zone areas then.. Does that frame capture look ok on your computer monitor? It looks really nice on the TV, but on my monitor, it looks really dark..

Mike Costantini October 3rd, 2007 02:47 PM

Does that screen capture look too dark for people who are going to buy the DVD that intend to watch it on a computer? I took the frame straight from the Vegas timeline..

Brandon Freeman October 3rd, 2007 03:20 PM

I think it looks very pro. Not too dark at all.

Mike Costantini October 3rd, 2007 03:29 PM

Wow, very pro?? That's the first time I heard that with regard to my video editing haha. Thank you. Well I guess if it's not too dark on your computer monitor, it must mean that mine isn't set bright enough. Do others reading this thread agree with Brandon?

Jason Robinson October 4th, 2007 11:40 AM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Costantini (Post 753837)
Wow, very pro?? That's the first time I heard that with regard to my video editing haha. Thank you. Well I guess if it's not too dark on your computer monitor, it must mean that mine isn't set bright enough. Do others reading this thread agree with Brandon?

Yes. It looks well done. Keeping in mind that this is just a screen grab, but judging it so far it looks very clean. No crap in the background like if it were filmed in a bedroom, living room. If the audio quality matches the screen grab then you have a quality product.

Mike Costantini October 4th, 2007 12:10 PM

Yes, it's just a simple black background so there's no distractions from the subject giving the lesson. My concern was with the overall levels since it is looking great on the TV I'm using as a monitor, but looks rather dark on my LCD computer monitor. Is there any way of properly calibrating my computer monitor ? Then again I guess everyone has all their monitors set differently. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is having the overall levels look either washed out or too dark between the two viewing mediums.

Hugh Mobley October 4th, 2007 12:11 PM

Ulead Photoimpact 12 has lower thirds, which can be saved as jpegs, pngs gifs, and work pretty well, then use pan crop

Jason Robinson October 5th, 2007 09:32 AM

Calibrated Monitors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Costantini (Post 754347)
Is there any way of properly calibrating my computer monitor ?

THe only wa to get nearly 100% sure answers to this question is to actually spend the several hundred and buy a calibrated monitor. Yes they are expensive (The DVInfo.net classifieds has one up for $600 right now).

Mike Costantini October 5th, 2007 10:51 AM

I didn't know one could buy a calibrated computer monitor...

Mike Kujbida October 5th, 2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Costantini (Post 754798)
I didn't know one could buy a calibrated computer monitor...

For a lot less than $600 ($79 to $249 US), pick up one of the Spyder products and calibrate yourself.