DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   audio dubbing annoyances in 7.0b (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/104803-audio-dubbing-annoyances-7-0b.html)

Baldwin Li October 2nd, 2007 07:08 AM

audio dubbing annoyances in 7.0b

hi folks,

been dubbing a feature in vegas and i must say am fairly happy with the audio features - however there are a couple things that really annoy me and was wondering hether there's any solution or if the upgrade to 8.0 has fixed these.

As far i can tell there is no other way to increase the volume of a Clip (i know i can do it on the track of course) without going to properties and ticking normalise which can often bump it up 30db and then dragging the Clip Gain down to the desired amount. And when all i wanted to do was raise the clip volume by 2db or so this is particularly fiddly as i have to somehow get the gain right down to -28.0db if its normalised to +30db. i could possibly apply a non-realtime FX but again this would be fiddly and what should be an unnecessary extra step. if only you could just type in what amount you want the clip gain increased by!

my second gripe: i dont like having cross-fades on a single track as i cant see properly whats going on so i use two tracks and fade each in/out manually - however if only Vegas had the same function to 'Expand Track Layers' on the audio track then this would be so much easier.

The other thing it ought to have which the video tracks have, is the capability of using real-time Clip FX - if it can do real-time video FX on each clip then i dont see why it cant do real-time audio clip FX which takes less processing power. This would be so much more useful than having to apply non-realtime effects which have to be rolled back again before you can alter them.

any ideas?

cheers,

baldwin

Matti Remonen October 2nd, 2007 07:33 AM

Quote:

As far i can tell there is no other way to increase the volume of a Clip (i know i can do it on the track of course) without going to properties and ticking normalise which can often bump it up 30db and then dragging the Clip Gain down to the desired amount.
Volume envelope? Or I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:

my second gripe:
Didn't really understand why would you like to have this.

Quote:

The other thing it ought to have which the video tracks have, is the capability of using real-time Clip FX
Actually the third thing ;). Anyway, I would like to see this also. For some reason (which someone will point out, I hope) audio FX is always destructive in Sony products (Vegas, SF, Acid).

And to my understanding Vegas Pro 8 does not offer anything new on these.

Baldwin Li October 2nd, 2007 09:03 AM

Hi matti,

shame that 8.0 doesn't improve on the audio clip FX front.

Yes i know i can control the volume using a volume envelope but that's a track-based volume envelope, not clip-based, and something i reserve for the final 'mix' rather than to set a level for each clip. it'd be one hellofa messy envelope if i had to set it for every clip and then of course if i make a change in the edit then the envelope wouldnt follow the edit (unless in ripple but then i might not want to ripple edit...)

I'd like expanded layers on the audio track as it'd be easier to adjust the automatic cross-fades like this although using two separate tracks instead is pretty much the same - i just then have to manually draw in two fades, one for each track. actually i'd probably just end up doing it in the way im doing now as there's more control, so its not a massive problem really. but the destructive audio FX does really annoy and somewhat surprise me...

cheers,

baldwin