AC3 Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Tourist

AC3 Question

I've been working on a short video clip and the last couple of days has found me in a bind. The clip is a title with exploding letters. With each letter explosion I have a wave file that is in sync in a 5.1 layout. It's 1 wave file for each letter of a 2 row title. If the letter is on the right top row, the the right front speaker has the explosion. If it's a bottom row left letter then the rear left speaker has it and so on. When I play back the clip in the preview, everything is perfect, I get sound from the RF, center, LF, RR, and LR speakers when I'm supposed to. Then when I render it to an AC3 file I lose the center speaker and that sound goes to both front speakers. Leaving a decent hole in my soundstage. I checked all my surround sound settings, the surround panner, properties, AC3 config and I can't figure out what is wrong.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sorry for my first post being a question.... lol

Oh yeah, I'm using Vegas 7.0e.
Eric Ruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Can you post your VEG file?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you go into the "custom" dialog when rendering, and spec the 5.1 template? For some reason, the 5.1 template is not available until you go into the "custom" dialog.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Did you go into the "custom" dialog when rendering, and spec the 5.1 template? For some reason, the 5.1 template is not available until you go into the "custom" dialog.
Yeah, I'm using the 5.1 template... unfortunately I'm getting a 4.1 file... no center channel.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
Can you post your VEG file?

Sure.

http://rapidshare.com/files/59888644/Untitled.veg.html
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Trustee

I finally had a chance to inspect your VEG file. It looks okay, so the problem is either in rendering, or playback. Tracks 2 and 8 have information in the center channel so it should not be silent.

How are you playing your AC3 files? Do you have a software "surround mode" enabled, like "SRS CircleSurround" or "Dolby Pro Logic II"?
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
I finally had a chance to inspect your VEG file. It looks okay, so the problem is either in rendering, or playback. Tracks 2 and 8 have information in the center channel so it should not be silent.

How are you playing your AC3 files? Do you have a software "surround mode" enabled, like "SRS CircleSurround" or "Dolby Pro Logic II"?

No, everything is hardware... I have an Audigy 2 soundcard with a Creative 5.1 system. I just noticed that if I play the .ac3 file in Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.2 I lose the center channel, if I play it in Nero ShowTime 4.1 it plays fine. I'm using Sony DVDArchitect 4.0b to make the DVD and it also loses the center channel. I never had this problem before, it just happened one day and it hasn't fixed itself...!

So the problem probably isn't Vegas... I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the help!
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Trustee

That explains it! Go into PowerDVD's audio settings and see what has happened. The AC3 decoder might be doing something funky. Nero has its own AC3 decoder. PowerDVD uses Cyberlink's.
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Tourist

i'm losing center speaker after rendering as well!

vegas 7 & DVDA 4 and 5
after rendering, my theatre center speaker plays zilch!
other dvds are fine, other front and rear speakers i pan to using surround panner per track, in Vegas video, work fine, not the centre speaker

vegas preview window plays center 'sound' [though i have2 speakers attached to my editing pc] but after rendering DVDA plays nothing in preview and in my theatre sound system.... nothing

all other panned sound to speakers are ok.

any ideas??

yours sincerely,

Martyn Biesheuvel.
Martyn Biesheuvel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...