DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas HD on Network TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/105047-vegas-hd-network-tv.html)

Fred Helm October 5th, 2007 09:22 AM

Vegas HD on Network TV

Hey Guys,

just wanted to share our journey to stay 100% in Vegas and produce HD show for TV. It was a journey, but in the end, and only using Vegas 7d, our show air this Sunday night on Cox Cable networks in the US. We were laughed at repeatedly during this process for not using FCP. We delivered the Panasonic DVC ProHD tapes to the studio yesterday and looked at it with many FCP eyes watching....AWESOME! We had spent a bunch of uneccesary time trying to suppliment Vegas with what they call "Broadcast Standard Software". in the end and with the guidance of Chan, DSE, and Troxel, here's how we did it..

Shot 1080i on FX-1's and 7's
Dumped into Vegas using Cineform HD link (1440X1080)
Rendered final 28:30 timeline (including 13 :30 spots all in HD produced in Vegas as well) to a "new track" in intermediate 60i.

went back to M15u with the "new track" in HDV (spitting out .m2t file) on Panasonic HDV Mini DV's
Captioned at NCI and dubbed out to Panasonic DVC Pro HD for broadcast.

Does anyone see room to improve quality from this format?

Go Vegas!

Roger Shealy October 5th, 2007 02:20 PM

What is the name of the program and time you will be airing on COX?

Joe Bowey October 5th, 2007 09:23 PM

I am editing a show and when I tell them it is on vegas they just look at me with a dumb lok on their face. I was so concernedthat I went to an apple store just to see what I was missing and I was very glad I use vegas. FCP no does what vegas has done for years. Love vegas just hate the operating system.
One prolem I have is people using vegas have different fonts and I am always strugling t find matching fonts.

Fred Helm October 10th, 2007 09:16 AM

Pinned is on Cox 704 San Diego at 10pm on Sundays. Vegas 10pm on Cox 48, and jumpin to Phoenix in January. We watched our first show on a number of coax driven HDTV's while it aired. Ill tell you I, being an HD junkie on Discovery and all, I was totally inspired by the resolution we got. Many viewers from the focus groups called in saying they didnt even know what the show was about because they were so drawn to the picture quality. We have a parrallel unit that shoots on 50k cams and laughs at us with our 3k Sony FX-1's...they were not laughing Sunday night. We are puting HD episodes out on TV with Nielsen ratings in 14 days total (from shoot to air) for under 10k in equipment. Thats where we are going...and fast

Ian Stark October 10th, 2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey (Post 755071)
when I tell them it is on vegas they just look at me with a dumb lok on their face.

I tell any part-savvy clients that I use Sony's flagship professional editing suite. While I know I'm talking about Vegas, a few of them think I'm hiring an actual bricks 'n' mortar edit suite! Who am I to correct the customer?

They'll really think I've hit the big time when I tell them I actually BOUGHT Sony's flagship professional edit suite!

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky October 10th, 2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark
They'll really think I've hit the big time when I tell them I actually BOUGHT Sony's flagship professional edit suite!

Isn't "Xpri" Sony's flagship professional editing suite?

Brian

Ian Stark October 10th, 2007 02:27 PM

Well I'd better go out and buy Xpri then . . . can't lie to my customers.

Glenn Chan October 10th, 2007 08:09 PM

Xpri (as the hardware-based system) is end of lifed. (You can't buy it, but existing customers might still have support for it.)

Xpri as a software editor is a part of Sonaps now (~$1? million system for news production... it's a package of different elements including playout server, media asset management, etc.).
http://pro.sony.com.hk/enews/20050323/index.html

So technically Vegas would be "Sony's" flagship editor? Though there's a difference between Sony Broadcast and Sony Media Software.

2- Regardless, you do awesome work on Vegas. The clips at pinnedtv.com looks great.

Travis Binkle October 10th, 2007 10:42 PM

Looks Great Fred. Times are certainly changing in regard to what one can do with under 10k worth of equipment. Which is good for smaller production companies.