DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/105119-velocity-envelopes-vs-ctrl-drag.html)

Jason Donaldson October 6th, 2007 08:43 AM

Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag

Is there a difference between using a velocity envelope vs ctrl+drag (clip end)?

I know with velocity envelopes you can add your points and control speed that way, but if I just want to slow down a clip without any points, is it better to use a VE and set your speed that way or use the ctrl+drag method?

Edward Troxel October 6th, 2007 04:16 PM

If I want a constant speed and don't want to go below 25%, I use CTRL-Resize. Why??? It's EASIER and faster. Quality-wise there should be now difference.

Steven Thorsen October 7th, 2007 10:53 AM

Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag

I find that there is a slight difference between these 2 methods.

I put an 8 minute avi of clouds passing overhead on the timeline. When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.

The ctrl+drag method, however, both speeds up the motion and adjusts the length of the event.

Mike Kujbida October 7th, 2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thorsen (Post 755545)
When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.

That's why you have to look (very carefully) for the V at the top of the video clip indicating that it's looped.
You can also try dragging it backwards and waiting for the "snap" telling you that's where the loop is point is.

Edward Troxel October 7th, 2007 07:36 PM

Steve, if you go into the properties and adjust the "Playback Rate" (Instead of CTRL-Resize - which changes the "Playback Rate") you'll notice the same thing happens. You're expected to resize the event as needed once you've adjusted the speed.

Jason Donaldson October 9th, 2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thorsen (Post 755545)
I find that there is a slight difference between these 2 methods.

I put an 8 minute avi of clouds passing overhead on the timeline. When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.

The ctrl+drag method, however, both speeds up the motion and adjusts the length of the event.

I found the same thing, and it actually happened to me on a finished wedding video where the bride put on the ring twice lol

Don Bloom October 9th, 2007 09:31 PM

You've GOT to watch for the V notch in the top of the clip OR use something like Excalibur that will not only change the velocity BUT adjust the length of the clip. Vegas has many ways to do things but they all require some operator influence. Control-Drag, Playback speed, velocity envelope, no matter which method you choose they will all accomplish the same end but ya still gotta watch for the V notch ;-)

Don