Vegas 8 issues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

My two cents, I have Vegas 6 and for no good reason I have had the same crash for the past couple of days, it's random, sometimes caused by ctrl-z and typically doesn't 'save' before crashing, so I could lose 30 minutes of work. So I've been hitting ctrl-s after almost every cut. Very annoying. I think in it's history, Vegas has been buggy, there are many error reports on this board.

And it has been my experience when you contact Sony about errors, typically you get a response that is very broad, probably on a cue card, and from someone who may or may not know how to turn their computer on by themselves. But that's just my opinion.
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Matt,

I agree that it can be computer specific, but it can also be the type of projects we work on. I can work in Vegas 8 for days with zero problems but when I start adding quicktime, psds, effects, over 500 files etc. things start going haywire. I using a pretty beefy system (dual Zeon, 4 gigs ram, XP Pro) and this system worked fine in DV on a more complex project in Vegas 7.

Regards,

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #18
Major Player

This is indeed interesting to read...

I purchased Vegas 8 Pro the day it was made available via upgrade and it's been sitting on my desk ever since. I knew, without any of these posts, it was going to be buggy as virtually all software suffers from this issue upon release.

For the same reason I continue to NOT recommend running Microsoft Vista if you can help it, it's never really a good idea to run software upon it's initial release. It's just a fact that, unfortunately, the best beta testing for these software developers occurs in the first 6 months of a products release date. Once they release an update or two, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I do agree with the few posts in here though regarding this being one of the better products made available for the PC. Frankly, I view Vegas as kind of a champion product for the PC and am really hoping Sony can continue to develop and enhance this product. It really is a shame when this software is released and is buggy enough to make the PC look bad when standing up against NLE's like FCP.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I remember when Vegas 7.0 came out that it would not build audio peaks on footage taken with the Sony HVR-A1u. Version 7.B fixed that. I hope Vegas 8 follows the same pattern and gets the bugs ironed out. I am one of those that experience the black frame issue with m2t files in Vegas 7 and this does seemed to be fixed or greatly improved in 8.0. It works perfectly with Cineform but I am working on a very long project and the large files take too much disk space.

I had the problem quite frequently with Vegas 6 that Steven Davis mentions. It was usually brought on by multiple undos. It seemed that if I gave it a bit of time between pressing the ctrl z and the ctrl,alt,z keys that it minimized these.

7.d was the most stable version that I have ran in my short time of using the program. Overall I am extremely pleased with it. Let's just hope they get the issues with 8.0 resolved.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 8.0a and DVD Architect 4.5a were just released!

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...p2.asp?DID=764

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...p2.asp?DID=766

LOT'S of changes in Vegas Pro 8.0a!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Time to take ProType Titler out for another spin then! Thanks for the heads up, Edward.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard Hill View Post
I have encountered another issue concerning crashes. I have captured several tapes as m2t files. Some were shot with an XL-H1 in 60i and some with a Sony HVR-A1u. All were captured using the Sony to save wear and tear on the Canon. Each tape was captured to a separate veg. file. I scroll through the timeline and log the scenes on an Excel spreadsheet. There are no problems with crashes with footage shot with the Canon, but Vegas 8 crashes repeatedly on two tapes shot with the Sony. If I open the same files in Vegas 7 they work perfectly. When the problem occurs a large green band goes through the scene and the following error message appears: "Vegas has encountered a problem and needs to close."
Neither Vegas 7 nor Vegas 8 is adept at dealing with HDV captures that have dropouts... or even SD stuff with dropouts, in some cases. I recently found that Vegas 8 was getting real crashy, but noticed it was related to one capture I had from my Canon HV10. Removing that pretty much eliminated the problem (well, other than the known issues reported in the Pro Titler and multcam, both of which I easily found on my own).

Not that Vegas SHOULD crash on HDV errors, but I think it always has, and it stands to reason that faster HDV performance in Vegas 8 might well come at the cost of some error checking. Double check the video independently to see if there are dropouts, and if so, try recapturing the tape (I've found HDVSplit more reliable at HDV capture than Vegas7; I haven't tried Vegas8 yet).
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Another Vegas 8 oddity

One really annoying "feature" in Vegas 8, which seems to be new... I'm seeing some difference between the displayed audio waveforms and the actual audio, here and there.

On my current project, I'm synching up two HDV cameras, then editing as a video multitrack... in theory. What I found was that, while I thought I had matched the audio, I hadn't really. The truth was revealed if I zoomed way in... I would see correct audio waveform display for both tracks. But when zoomed out a bit, one waveform display is considerably off... like by a few seconds or more. Ouch!

Not a big deal, once it was all locked in, but I've been using the Vegas audio display for multi-cam and field recorder sync for years and years, and never seen a problem like this until Vegas 8. Both tracks are HDV MPEG-2 transport stream files.
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #25
Major Player

I have noticed that having the Matroska Splitter and/or FFDshow installed can mess up the NLE:s. I don't have Vegas 8 - But I have PPro CS3 - and there I had all kinds of strange behaviour before I uninstalled all "extra" codec stuff that I had.

For instance PPro would allocate ALL memory available when opening a m2t file when I had "dscaler" and ffdshow installed.

// lazze
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Dave
I think you are on to something there. I trimmed both of the captures which caused crashes in Vegas 7 and then did the save-as thing to make copies of the scenes in use in the timeline and then deleted the original capture. In both cases if I place the trimmed copies in an 8.0 timeline it will now play o.k.

Last edited by Willard Hill; October 18th, 2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: error
Willard Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...