DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   A question on Vegas 8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/105355-question-vegas-8-a.html)

Bob Safay October 10th, 2007 04:35 AM

A question on Vegas 8

Question. I am running Vegas 6 and I am very happy with it. I originally started with Vegas 5 then upgraded to 6. Anyway, can I upgrade from 6 to 8 or do I have to install Vegas 7 first? Also, I am using DVD Architect 3. Do I have to upgrade this also? Bob

Edward Troxel October 10th, 2007 07:09 AM

Yes, you can purchase the upgrade for Vegas 8 using your Vegas 6 serial number and get the same price as any Vegas 7 user. You do not need Vegas 7 to go to 8.

Mike Kujbida October 10th, 2007 10:11 AM

You can have both Vegas 6 & DVDA 3 and Vegas 8 & DVDA 4.5 on your system.
Everything installs into separate folders and they don't interfere with each other.
BTW, DVDA 4.5 is a part of the upgrade package.

Bob Safay October 13th, 2007 04:56 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the response. One more quick question. Is Vegas 8 that much better than Vegas 6? Bob

Edward Troxel October 13th, 2007 08:34 AM

Take a look at my newsletters and you can see a list of all features added in Vegas 7 and Vegas Pro 8. Personally, I think that, yes, there are a significant number of new features.

Seth Bloombaum October 13th, 2007 10:00 PM

There are lots of features added between 6 and 8, as mentioned above...

For day-to-day use, the most significant improvement is if you are using native m2t HDV footage, timeline preview performance is drastically improved v6 to v7, and improved a bit more v7 to v8.

On the other hand, Cineform previews from the timeline were better before v7, a problem which neither Sony nor Cineform seems to want to own.

Jon McGuffin October 16th, 2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 758551)
There are lots of features added between 6 and 8, as mentioned above...

For day-to-day use, the most significant improvement is if you are using native m2t HDV footage, timeline preview performance is drastically improved v6 to v7, and improved a bit more v7 to v8.

On the other hand, Cineform previews from the timeline were better before v7, a problem which neither Sony nor Cineform seems to want to own.

Seth has hit this right on the head with timeline performance. I had rather hoped v8 would have solved this timeline performance playback issue but apparently (haven't installed Vegas 8 yet) it hasn't. Bummer...

Jon

Kevin Saitta October 17th, 2007 12:18 AM

Just wondering, if you were staring from starch on had to use a PC what editor would you buy?

I have been reading and people seem to be having a lot of issues with Vegas 8. I am running Vista, Duo Core 4 gigs ram. The cameras I am going to be using are HV20 and XH-A1.

I just want a editor I can learn without the headache of bugs in the software. Would you still go with Vegas 8 or something else?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jon McGuffin October 17th, 2007 12:23 AM

Kevin,

I would definately consider Vegas 8. Chances are you will not have any problems and if you're really worried about it, purchase Vegas 7 which has gone through several revisiosn and is very stable. Most people aren't reporting any problems with Vegas 8 and Sony is slated to release an update anyday now that should likely address the majority of any issues out there. Premiere would be another good choice but it's more expensive and has it's own bug issues they are dealing with.

Jon

Jonathan Gentry October 19th, 2007 10:42 AM

Shooting 24P mode with these two cameras? You will want to get Cineform Neo HDV to capture the footage instead of the Vegas capture in order to remove the pulldown from the HV20. It sounds confusing but just capture your data with Neo HDV and edit the footage with Vegas 8. That will get you going properly with the Canon cameras.

Only shooting 60i? Just get Vegas 8 and you will be happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Saitta (Post 760130)
Just wondering, if you were staring from starch on had to use a PC what editor would you buy?

I have been reading and people seem to be having a lot of issues with Vegas 8. I am running Vista, Duo Core 4 gigs ram. The cameras I am going to be using are HV20 and XH-A1.

I just want a editor I can learn without the headache of bugs in the software. Would you still go with Vegas 8 or something else?

Thanks,

Kevin

Lorinda Norton November 16th, 2007 04:29 PM

I’m crossing my fingers and installing Vegas 8 alongside 7. My plan is to capture in Vegas 7 and copy files into the new one for a test drive, leaving old files intact in case 8 doesn’t work well on my PC.

Right now I’m looking at the question, “Do you want to associate the following files with Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 software? .veg.” Does this mean that veg files previously associated with 7 will be associated with the new version, or is it simply referring to anything I open in 8? Does it matter?

Edward Troxel November 16th, 2007 04:44 PM

If you say yes, that simply means double-clicking on a VEG file will now open Vegas 8.

Lorinda Norton November 16th, 2007 04:52 PM

Okay then, rather than double-clicking, if I want to open a veg file in the older version I have to go the file > open route? And if I say "no" it means I can no longer double-click as long as I'm using multiple versions?

Robert Wheeler November 16th, 2007 06:38 PM

If you click "no", then the .veg files will remain associated with Vegas 7, and bring that up when you double click them. If you click "yes" then it with bring up Vegas 8 when you double click on .Veg files.

All you are doing is telling windows what to do when you double click a Vegas project. It does not affect the functionality of Vegas 7 or 8 at all.

I would recommend clicking yes, otherwise you might double click a Vegas 8 project and find it fails to load in Vegas 7.

Lorinda Norton November 16th, 2007 11:49 PM

Thanks for the added explanation, Robert. After Edward's response I went the opposite route in my thinking: How upset would I be if I absent-mindedly double-clicked on a Vegas 7 project, it opened in 8, and then I’d never be able to go back? Heh heh…yes, I can absent-mindedly do a lot of things… So, I told it “no.”

I’m assuming that if everything works the way I hope and I eventually uninstall the earlier program I’ll be able to go back to my old double-clicking ways and everything will load in 8. If not, I have to get used to a new way. :)

Edward, thank you for your continued patience! I always laugh when I recall what looked a bit like exasperation on your part at NAB last year when you were trying to talk Vegas sense into me. ;) By the way, Vol. 5 #1 should be a great help when I start tinkering with this new version. Much appreciated.