A question on Vegas 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 10th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #1
Trustee

A question on Vegas 8

Question. I am running Vegas 6 and I am very happy with it. I originally started with Vegas 5 then upgraded to 6. Anyway, can I upgrade from 6 to 8 or do I have to install Vegas 7 first? Also, I am using DVD Architect 3. Do I have to upgrade this also? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, you can purchase the upgrade for Vegas 8 using your Vegas 6 serial number and get the same price as any Vegas 7 user. You do not need Vegas 7 to go to 8.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You can have both Vegas 6 & DVDA 3 and Vegas 8 & DVDA 4.5 on your system.
Everything installs into separate folders and they don't interfere with each other.
BTW, DVDA 4.5 is a part of the upgrade package.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey guys, thanks for the response. One more quick question. Is Vegas 8 that much better than Vegas 6? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #5

Take a look at my newsletters and you can see a list of all features added in Vegas 7 and Vegas Pro 8. Personally, I think that, yes, there are a significant number of new features.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are lots of features added between 6 and 8, as mentioned above...

For day-to-day use, the most significant improvement is if you are using native m2t HDV footage, timeline preview performance is drastically improved v6 to v7, and improved a bit more v7 to v8.

On the other hand, Cineform previews from the timeline were better before v7, a problem which neither Sony nor Cineform seems to want to own.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
There are lots of features added between 6 and 8, as mentioned above...

For day-to-day use, the most significant improvement is if you are using native m2t HDV footage, timeline preview performance is drastically improved v6 to v7, and improved a bit more v7 to v8.

On the other hand, Cineform previews from the timeline were better before v7, a problem which neither Sony nor Cineform seems to want to own.
Seth has hit this right on the head with timeline performance. I had rather hoped v8 would have solved this timeline performance playback issue but apparently (haven't installed Vegas 8 yet) it hasn't. Bummer...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just wondering, if you were staring from starch on had to use a PC what editor would you buy?

I have been reading and people seem to be having a lot of issues with Vegas 8. I am running Vista, Duo Core 4 gigs ram. The cameras I am going to be using are HV20 and XH-A1.

I just want a editor I can learn without the headache of bugs in the software. Would you still go with Vegas 8 or something else?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Kevin,

I would definately consider Vegas 8. Chances are you will not have any problems and if you're really worried about it, purchase Vegas 7 which has gone through several revisiosn and is very stable. Most people aren't reporting any problems with Vegas 8 and Sony is slated to release an update anyday now that should likely address the majority of any issues out there. Premiere would be another good choice but it's more expensive and has it's own bug issues they are dealing with.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Shooting 24P mode with these two cameras? You will want to get Cineform Neo HDV to capture the footage instead of the Vegas capture in order to remove the pulldown from the HV20. It sounds confusing but just capture your data with Neo HDV and edit the footage with Vegas 8. That will get you going properly with the Canon cameras.

Only shooting 60i? Just get Vegas 8 and you will be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saitta View Post
Just wondering, if you were staring from starch on had to use a PC what editor would you buy?

I have been reading and people seem to be having a lot of issues with Vegas 8. I am running Vista, Duo Core 4 gigs ram. The cameras I am going to be using are HV20 and XH-A1.

I just want a editor I can learn without the headache of bugs in the software. Would you still go with Vegas 8 or something else?

Thanks,

Kevin
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #11
Wrangler

I’m crossing my fingers and installing Vegas 8 alongside 7. My plan is to capture in Vegas 7 and copy files into the new one for a test drive, leaving old files intact in case 8 doesn’t work well on my PC.

Right now I’m looking at the question, “Do you want to associate the following files with Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 software? .veg.” Does this mean that veg files previously associated with 7 will be associated with the new version, or is it simply referring to anything I open in 8? Does it matter?
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #12

If you say yes, that simply means double-clicking on a VEG file will now open Vegas 8.
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Wrangler

Okay then, rather than double-clicking, if I want to open a veg file in the older version I have to go the file > open route? And if I say "no" it means I can no longer double-click as long as I'm using multiple versions?
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

If you click "no", then the .veg files will remain associated with Vegas 7, and bring that up when you double click them. If you click "yes" then it with bring up Vegas 8 when you double click on .Veg files.

All you are doing is telling windows what to do when you double click a Vegas project. It does not affect the functionality of Vegas 7 or 8 at all.

I would recommend clicking yes, otherwise you might double click a Vegas 8 project and find it fails to load in Vegas 7.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #15
Wrangler

Thanks for the added explanation, Robert. After Edward's response I went the opposite route in my thinking: How upset would I be if I absent-mindedly double-clicked on a Vegas 7 project, it opened in 8, and then I’d never be able to go back? Heh heh…yes, I can absent-mindedly do a lot of things… So, I told it “no.”

I’m assuming that if everything works the way I hope and I eventually uninstall the earlier program I’ll be able to go back to my old double-clicking ways and everything will load in 8. If not, I have to get used to a new way. :)

Edward, thank you for your continued patience! I always laugh when I recall what looked a bit like exasperation on your part at NAB last year when you were trying to talk Vegas sense into me. ;) By the way, Vol. 5 #1 should be a great help when I start tinkering with this new version. Much appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...