DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Selected Clips colors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/105423-selected-clips-colors.html)

David Rice October 11th, 2007 09:40 AM

Selected Clips colors

In Explorer or in the Media Bin, is there a way to increase the saturation or brightness of the last selected clip icon or file name to make it more visable?

I am having a hard time remembering or even finding the last clip that I have selected from Explorer or the Project Media Bin.

The icon or file name of the last selected clip in the Media Bin is hardly
visable.

Also, if I have a large number of clips in my Media Bin, how do I keep track of which clips are already on the timeline?

Jim Ohair October 11th, 2007 08:28 PM

The first part I'm not sure of but in the media bin if you select detailed
instead of thumbnail one of the details is use count. Handy if you mix things up like I do.

David Rice October 11th, 2007 09:48 PM

It sure would be nice if the selected thumbnails were better highlighted, or there was some kind of check mark on the thumbnails, that are already on the timeline.

I get real confused when I'm working on projects with multiple clips.

Mike Kujbida October 11th, 2007 09:59 PM

Try the Edit Details window.
View- Edit Details
It gives you a lot of very useful information.

Ian Stark October 12th, 2007 02:29 AM

I agree that a check mark on the thumbnail would be useful.

Meanwhile, one workaround is to select all the clips (Edit/Select All for the whole project, including audio, stills, generated media etc) then right click and select 'Select in Project Media List'. That will highlight those selected clips in the Project Media tab.

For just those clips on a single track, select the first clip on the track, then shift+left click on the last clip, then right click/Select in Project Media List.

Not ideal, and obviously you have to go through that procedure each time you want to know which clips are on the timeline, but in the absence of that desirable check mark this should give you the info you need.

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Graham Bernard October 13th, 2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 757427)
. . is there a way to increase the saturation or brightness of the last selected clip icon or file name to make it more visable?

Brighter? Not that I know of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 757427)
Also, if I have a large number of clips in my Media Bin, how do I keep track of which clips are already on the timeline?

Ah yes!!! This is a real cinch! And often overlooked, and one needs to delve deeper into the more shadowy corners of this "Coy Mistress"!

"Search Media Bins"

1/- In Project Media Pane > Right Click on "All Media

2/- Select "Use Count" and, for our purposes here, choose the variable "Less Than" and enter the value of " 1 "

3/- Hit Search - DONE!

Automatically you get a NEW Red Marked Bin of at least unused clips! Now save this new bin and call it "Unused Clips"

Using this feature try other options:

1/- Enter OTHER parameters of say between "Use Count" variables, ones that you have used 2 times but less than 6 times! And save THAT to another bin!

2/- You can also search WITHIN these new bins too!

3/- You could sort between pics and vids and save these and sort and re-sort

4/- Sort for clips of certain lengths and save these to alternate bins.

Much, much available here.

But to answer your unused OR used clip thing - I can do that in less than 3 seconds! Done! Now you can too!

The last used clip? .. . eh, now that's a bit more tricky . .

"Search Media Bins" - oft forgot or not used at all.

Best regards

Grazie

David Rice October 13th, 2007 09:41 AM

I am using Vegas 7d.

In the Project Media Pane > Right Click on "All Media,

"All Media" is not listed as a option for me when I right click anywhere in the Project Media Pane.

Jim Ohair October 13th, 2007 11:21 AM

I also have 7 and anywhere in the project media area
search media bins appears when I right click...then a box where you can choose what to search
and other parameters.

Graham Bernard October 13th, 2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 758331)
I am using Vegas 7d.

In the Project Media Pane > Right Click on "All Media,

"All Media" is not listed as a option for me when I right click anywhere in the Project Media Pane.

You found it yet?

Grazie

David Rice October 13th, 2007 07:16 PM

Thanks!

I finally found it.

Dave

Ian Stark October 13th, 2007 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go - right click then select Search Media Bins to find the critaria selection Grazie is talking about. Very useful.

Ian Stark October 13th, 2007 07:22 PM

Ha! I see you found it already!

Graham Bernard October 14th, 2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 758506)
Here ya go - right click then select Search Media Bins to find the critaria selection Grazie is talking about. Very useful.

Ian, thanks for going to all that trouble of doing the screen grab of what I was talking about. What a team!

Once a person gets the hang of this, it is quite a flexible tool for creating progressive searches; saving searches as separate User-named bins; making searches dependant on quite complex parameters by using the method I suggested of highlighting a specific bin and generating multi layer bin results. It is no doubt of great creative use. In another life, I had been known to design, using an Rbase derivative, ms-dos SQL relational databases. This feature although not relational, has much I recognize.

Putting this all aside, and over the past 2 years, I am now completely smitten by Media Manager. This has a creative, visual and SQL edge over "Search Media Bins". MM is awesome! However, used count within MM? MM is a global option, and as a result of this thread, I am now experimenting to try and establish just whether I can ADD this option - "Used Count", via "Used With", within MM. If not I shall write to SONY.

Regards,

Grazie

Ian Stark October 14th, 2007 03:05 AM

I'm afraid I'm a peasant when it comes to managing my media.

I absolutely KNOW that I would be more productive if I was better organised. And I absolutely KNOW that every project I work on increases the volume of work I will have to do when I get around to sorting out the mess.

But that job is always next weekend! (Were it not for the rugby!).

Cheers!

Ian . . .

p.s. different subject, I know, but you know what always wrong-foots me and causes me to temporarily lose stuff - - Vegas's insisting that a render goes to the last used location every time. When I'm working on multiple client projects I often find myself rendering project A to the folder for Project B. Must pay attention! (That's what my school reports always said). What would be nice would be to be able to set up a default per project render destination.

Graham Bernard October 15th, 2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 758604)
But that job is always next weekend! (Were it not for the rugby!).

Must pay attention! (That's what my school reports always said). What would be nice would be to be able to set up a default per project render destination.

Well, being disorganised obviously HASN'T stopped you getting you what you want. Having many clients is ALL what it is about. Go and tell your teachers that, Ian!

Look, these "things" are just tools. Tools that I have learnt about over the past 5 years of using the Vegas family. And, you better believe it, MM still allows me to be disorganised! Oh yes! However, it gives me a selection of the clips and I can see their colour ways better and as with using Media Search I can then dump and Tag for my current project. I use MM my type of Project Folder. Using the TAG system I can also Group/combine different projects too. Come to think of it, I rarely use Project Media pane anymore.

So Ian, don't bother. If you are suggesting, sorting for sorting sake and you AREN'T hampered with your current workload/workflow - why sort for sorting sake? I quite agree.

This has kinda drifted away from our friend's original post - talking about many clients and so forth - but maybe not.

Wanting to make quick, narrative-centric (telling a story!) decisions, using appropriate media from many sources and combining and auditioning stuff, I believe, is right back at the root of this thread.

For the next fortnight I'll be around London, with content taking from high above a well known shopping street, and this will be mixed with stills and talking heads, and low-down streetscapes - just the usual melange of captures! Media Manager is going to allow me to compose and audition that which I want to use. Tagging/grouping in Media Manager is where I can get to my story very quickly. And that's BEFORE I get to the timeline too.

Had to laugh, Ian, that skool report sounded quite familiar though!!!

Nah, sorting for sorting sake is a time wasting occupation. Don't bother. I sort for the narrative. That's back at this thread.

After all, THAT'S what the client really wants - not that it had been sorting efficiently - lol!

Grazie