DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sync the audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/105480-sync-audio.html)

Stephen Eastwood October 12th, 2007 12:34 AM

Sync the audio

how difficult is it to sync the audio in vegas? between to separate cameras and just audio with a separate video

Whats the standard procedure?

Renton Maclachlan October 12th, 2007 01:27 AM

I've never found it difficult. Roughtly line the tracks up, then find a distinctive sound, and its wave form, and put them exactly one above the other. Then play all audio tracks back at the same time to confirm.

As an extra, if there are flashes from still cameras on the video, match the frames in which they appear.

Works for me.

Don Bloom October 12th, 2007 05:22 AM

Renton has the right idea and for weaker eyes enlarge the audio tracks to make the waveforms big enough to really catch a point exactly.

Syncing in Vegas is no more difficult than any other NLE-I've sync'd as many as 5 cameras without going too crazy ;-)

Don

Edward Troxel October 12th, 2007 08:59 AM

To fine tune, you can also solo two of the tracks select ONE of them, and while playing back a looped section, the 1 and 3 keys on the numeric keypad can be used to "nudge" the selected one left or right. Nudge it until you don't hear an echo.

Steven Davis October 12th, 2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 757869)
Renton has the right idea and for weaker eyes enlarge the audio tracks to make the waveforms big enough to really catch a point exactly.

Don

Or you could just ask the wife for a one of these to view the timeline on http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1920,00.html

One tip we do at live events, especially if we will have multiple clips or it is a complicated shoot with low music, like classical which is about as fun to sync as someone snoring is, we'll shoot each other or I'll shoot my wife doing interviews etc.

The above is great advice as well.

Robert Wheeler October 14th, 2007 06:20 AM

One of the most annoying things about Vegas 6 is that it seems to force you to move sound by a minimum incrediment of one frame rather than one sample. I find this very frustrating, especially as Vegas was originally a audio only editing tool.

Is there a way to move by samples (outside of manually triming the front of the sound in an audio editor)?

Mike Kujbida October 14th, 2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wheeler (Post 758626)
Is there a way to move by samples (outside of manually triming the front of the sound in an audio editor)?

There sure is.
Turn off "Quantize to Frames" (on the toolbar or Alt + F8) and you'll be nudging at the sample level.
Just remember to enable it afterwards so that your video frames continue to line up properly or you'll be asking for trouble.

Robert Wheeler October 14th, 2007 08:49 AM

Cheers! Is that enabled is Vegas 6? I can remember fiddling with that option and not being able to gauge an effect.

Mike Kujbida October 14th, 2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wheeler (Post 758671)
Cheers! Is that enabled is Vegas 6?

All I can tell you is that it's been there for a very long time.

Quote:

I can remember fiddling with that option and not being able to gauge an effect.
What do you mean by "gauge an effect"?
I usually loop the an area in the piece I'm adjusting and then using the 4 and 6 keys on the numeric keypad (the 1 & 3 keys are for a frame at a time) to slip it forwards and backwards while it's playing until I'm happy with it.
BTW, the more you're zoomed in the timeline, the finer the adjustment is.

Renton Maclachlan October 15th, 2007 02:46 AM

Re 'nudging' - at different 'levels'. How do you do it and what is the effect produced?

Does it apply to both video and audio?

Mike Kujbida October 15th, 2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 759012)
Re 'nudging' - at different 'levels'. How do you do it and what is the effect produced?

By 'different levels', I mean how far in you're zoomed on the timeline.
To 'nudge' an event, use the 4 & 6 keys.
As long as 'Quantize to Frames' is turned off, you can slip audio at the sample level (hundredths of a second or better) instead of the frame level (1/30 of a second).
Just remember to enable it afterwards.

Quote:

Does it apply to both video and audio?
If you don't ungroup them (using the U key or clicking the "Ignore Event Grouping" icon), then yes.

Does this make sense now?

Renton Maclachlan October 15th, 2007 12:38 PM

Thanks Mike. Yes, that is understood. I'll try it tonight.

Mike Kujbida October 15th, 2007 01:26 PM

Have fun playing, Renton.
Holler if you need help.