CPU Cooler at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CPU Cooler

*Please move this thread if its in the wrong place - couldn't find a pc type thread though*

I use Vegas 7. Going to be using it a lot lot more in the coming months/years etc - probably to the extent where i'll leave the edit machine on overnight to render.

I would like some advice on what CPU coolers people are using? I currently have a Thermaltake Rocket water cooling system - and am not convinced. CPU temps are very very high when rendering. I just dont think its dispersing the heat very well at all.

I was looking at some of the more silent ones - but can anyone recommend particular ones? Here is what i've been looking at so far....

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/intelcooling
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Make sure you have a good fan to suck the air out of the case otherwise all you are doing is moving the air about.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you didn't install it quite right, that may explain the high temperatures??
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Its bolted on tight, its definatley installed ok. Furthermore the dome at the top of the water cooling rocket is cracking inside... Not a great sign. All this and Thermaltake won't reply to me - so a complete waste of money.
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #5
New Boot

I use this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ezer%2bpro%2b7
It is huge, but it keeps my over clocked dual core Pentium D under 110F at max usage.
Peter Liptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Pentium D's run hot, and on my old Pentium D 3.0Ghz I run a fan like Peter and my temps run about the same.

I researched cooling thoroughly before purchasing the fan and learned from several sources to be skeptical of most liquid cooling systems. Some of the higher end ones might be fine but generally not worth the cost to me. The potential problems with condensation alone bother me, and don't even talk about leaks. The idea of putting liquid of any kind inside a computer case didn't seem quite right to me, though I understand many people use liquid cooling with excellent results, particularly gamers.

When you are able to move up to a newer processor you will find the heat issue is no longer relevant...my Quad core is extremely cool.

Google "problems with liquid cooling" etc or fans vs. liquid cooling or something like that and see what you find.

Good luck!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...