DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Where do you get Vegas 6 cheap? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106099-where-do-you-get-vegas-6-cheap.html)

John L. Miller October 20th, 2007 10:31 PM

Purchased Vegas 6 for upgrade

Purchased the Vegas 6 from B and H for 99.00 to upgrade to 8. Good deal.

Glenn Chan October 20th, 2007 10:46 PM

It's only $99 from B&H? Or are you looking for cheaper?

B&H also might have some sort of discount code for dvinfo users.

John L. Miller October 21st, 2007 12:25 AM

Thats a decent deal at 99.00. But I was hoping to find someone who switched from Vegas to another editing program, such as FCP or something different. Somebody with one of these would just be letting their sony software go to waste and would possibly sell me the serial ownership and I could use it to upgrade to Version 8.

Paul Fierlinger October 21st, 2007 01:54 AM

There's something that goes against my grain about this request. You are in essence asking for a gift. Have you thought of approaching Sony directly? If you have a compelling reason for why you can't come up with $ 99 for something you've been wanting for a year, they might just give you Vegas 8 for nothing.

John L. Miller October 21st, 2007 02:01 AM

Your really funny

I don't recall asking for any Gift Paul. If you research the past sales of used Vegas 6 pro, you will see where at least 2 sold for 50.00 dollars. Which I am willing to pay. I am only going to upgrade it immediately. Gee, maybe a 49.00 dollar savings doesn't mean much to you, but it does to me. Furthermore, Your smart comments are offensive to me. I personally don't care if my request sits well with you. I DON'T WANT ANYTHING FREE! THATS IS WHY I POSTED HERE. So put a lid on it. J

P.S. You see the word SELL in my request? Maybe you should look a little closer.

Ian Stark October 21st, 2007 03:13 AM

I guess why some people might feel this request grates a little is because most of us here will at some time (some many years ago, some recently) have had to pay full whack for Vegas to get on the wagon. And NOW we enjoy the upgrade prices.

Those that couldn't afford to buy Vegas either set their sights lower (which is now possible with Vegas Movie Studio, starting at $79.95 - cheaper if you shop around) or they used illegal versions until they could afford/chose to buy a legal licence (which wouldn't be appreciated here, as I'm sure you will agree).

I have to say, $50 for Vegas? That's not a gift. It's a steal.

Brian Luce October 21st, 2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 762129)

Those that couldn't afford to buy Vegas either set their sights lower (which is now possible with Vegas Movie Studio, starting at $79.95 - cheaper if you shop around) or they used illegal versions until they could afford/chose to buy a legal licence (which wouldn't be appreciated here, as I'm sure you will agree).

Why wouldn't it be appreciated? It's like a drug addict who has turned his life around. A criminal that's gone straight. Ex-pirates need our love and support lest the lapse back to piracy and other naughty things.

Ian Stark October 21st, 2007 05:54 AM

Sorry Brian, my poor grammar - I meant using the pirated version wouldn't be appreciated (especially when asking for assistance at DVi!).

I quite agree, reformed pirates (you naughty people) should be welcomed.

But I'd like to point out I'm not accusing anyone of piracy here!

John L. Miller October 21st, 2007 01:11 PM

Wow, I can't believe the opinions for such a simple request. I did my research on what has sold in the past before I posted this. In case some may not know, Vegas 6 was packaged with some camera kits. Some folks didn't use the vegas at all or changed to another NLE. You can look up two that sold for 50 bucks on here. Geeeeez! I am sorry that I am trying to save 50 bucks! I go to school full time and the wife works nights just to pay half our bills. Someday I hope to smoke Cuban cigars and wear Italian suits to, but for now I will smoke swisher sweets and buy my suits at Value-City! I guess I just don't understand why it is such a big deal that I want to save a few bucks, everyone else has the same ability to seek a better deal..that is all I am doing here. J

Ian Stark October 21st, 2007 02:15 PM

Well, that's what these forums are all about - help, opinion, guidance, you name it. Don't take it personally.

John, we're all out to save a buck here and there and I personally have no issue with you looking for someone that has no further need of their licence (what the hell does it have to do with me anyway?!).

But I wonder if some people might just be thinking, "hang on, I remember when this guy had a couple of XL2's for sale; when he then bought an XH-A1 (that's around $4k, right?); that he runs a wedding video business at flatbrokepictures.com; doesn't he have a $750 crane he bought this summer, oh, and a Letus 35mm adaptor; that in previous Vegas support requests (eg http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88193) he referred to 'my Vegas' and 'my Magic Bullet', not his friend's copy - hey, this guy must have a few bucks to buy a licence for Vegas and what's all this nonsense about his friend?".

See where I'm going? Some people who read too much into stuff might think that. (And they may not have seen the post where you mention you needed to sell the Letus to raise some cash.)

I applaud your creative thinking at trying to get Vegas for as little as possible - when I need new software I always try and get my clients to buy it for a specific project, that's how I got the Adobe software, Magic Bullet, loads more - but maybe best to not get too shirty when others question why you're pleading poverty, especially when your previous posts suggest otherwise.

Sherlock out . . .

Jon McGuffin October 21st, 2007 04:11 PM

I respect the fact that others here are encouraging people pay for quality software. From their perspective, $99 for Sony Vegas 6 brand new + another $149.95 to get into Vegas 8 means only $250 for a product of this caliber. That's darn cheap considering everything else involved with using that software (Cameras, various equipment, 3rd party software add-on's, etc). To try and get it any cheaper might just make people cringe a little.

One word of caution, buying somebody's old copy of Vegas 6 does NOT guarantee you the upgrade path if they've used the serial number to upgrade to either Vegas 7 or Vegas 8 previously. You may find yourself paying $50 for nothing, than having to rush out and buy the $100 copy from B&H just so you can then pay the $150 to get v8 from Sony (that expires in 8 days). You might actually cause yourself a lot of grief and hassle, not to mention $50 more to get to the end of your means..

My two cents..

Jon

John L. Miller October 21st, 2007 05:35 PM

Good point Jon, and I intended to do just that if I didn't find a deal. And yeah, I did have two XL2's which I HAD TO SELL to raise the cash for the XHA1 and letus Ian, and as you said..I sold my Letus FE to raise some more cash. I am maxed out on my credit cards, but this is just temporary, I had to almost quit working to focus on maintaining my grades. Further, Flatbrokepictures for the WEDDING video stuff was just put up 3 days ago Ian, I am still looking for my FIRST job. I am attempting to get something going to help pay the bills here. And even if I had 10 thousand dollars, I wouldn't object to try and save 50 bucks. As for me referring to MY VEGAS and my Magic Bullet, forgive me, I felt like it was mine since I was the only one using it and I didn't feel it necessary to explain it was a friends editing outfit since that was irrelevant to my issues. However, I do own the crane outfit, brand new and I did pay 750.00 bucks for it..a great deal. So if anyone is interested, 700.00 dollars, it has not been uncased, monitor still in plastic. Hey thanks Ian for reminding me I do have something left to liquidate! I am not taking it personally Ian, except Pauls comment. You don't have to get smart mouthed about something to get your point across. I really try to be nice to EVERYBODY on here. I regret making this original post for certain. I will purchase the B and H and go that route. J

John L. Miller October 21st, 2007 05:56 PM

made my purchase for vegas 6 today. Updating as soon as I get it. J

Allen Plowman October 21st, 2007 06:17 PM

How much did you get it for? did you have to pay B&H 99 dollars, or did you get a deal?
(I am always looking for a deal)

Ian Stark October 21st, 2007 06:28 PM

So you see my point? - people can put waaaay too much interpretation on what they read, which is why a calm response often stops things getting out of hand. And you did kinda fly off the handle a bit quickly when someone else put their opinion across.

Just wait until someone asks why you didn't buy your friend's Vegas licence since he doesn't use it ;-)

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. Hope you get your upgrade quickly and, more importantly, hope the wedding video business works out.