Opacity Points within a clip - oops event ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Opacity Points within a clip - oops event !

I have a music video shot with 3 cameras and have them synced above each other on the timeline. I simply want to flick the opacity up & down between them to "show through" to the other tracks at various stages. This is a snack in Premiere you just click the opacity line to set up points. In Vegas it seems this only works with the audio volume line.

I don't want to have to cut each segment & treat it as a separate event and then move the opacity line in each of them, but I know this can be done but is very time consuming.

By the way, I just saw the question on red portions in the time line, - syncing problem, thank you. I was starting to wonder what the heck !
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're using Vegas 8, give the multicam tool a try. It's great!!
If not, use Track Motion to shrink each clip down so that you can see all 3 on the timeline simultaneously.
Makes it much easier to edit.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

if you're looking to edit it then use the multicam feature in V8, if you're looking for a special effect of have all 3 three tracks show thru one another then set a VIDEO BUS (control-shift-B) and set the opacity using points.

HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I would set the opacity using the composite envelope on the individual tracks - not the video bus (which would affect EVERYTHING - not just one track)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

yep, that's what I forgot to include. Real early AM after a real late PM!
Thanks Edward.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks very much for all your help. I am a very keen amateur with little time to learn, yet have almost a life-times worth of family editing from the last forty years, so your help is much appreciated. Being a sound/classical music buff I am hooked on Vegas but am finding the learning curve a bit steep once you go past the simple stuff. As usual, I am now running a deadline for an 8 minute competition video !

I am running Vegas 7 & will probably upgrade to V8 after things settle down a little. I won't be buying it on line though as there are up-grade specials around and you get "Real live manuals", & extra discs etc. which I feel are well worth the extra.

I will try your suggestions within V7 and let you know.
Thanks again.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
I am running Vegas 7 & will probably upgrade to V8 after things settle down a little. I won't be buying it on line though as there are up-grade specials around and you get "Real live manuals", & extra discs etc. which I feel are well worth the extra.
Ron, I think you'd have a hard time finding a better deal than the current upgrade special of $135 download/$149 boxed.
For example, the upgrade price at Videoguy's is $425 and the only extra is one VASST DVD.
Safe Harbor is $375 with no extras.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...