Saving event groups at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Saving event groups

I wish to create a short version of a main video edit and want to preserve the original timeline as much as possible. It is a 3 camera affair so I have the events stacked in sync.

What I would like to do, seeing you can have multiple versions of Vegas running, (Great !), is to link or group certain events in the main project, render them, and copy this rendered group to a new, cut-down version and build this project from the main one without having to do "double editing" - but just tweaking in the new, shorter project.

I am having only moderate success as I spent quite a time editing the sound but when I tried to save a group and paste it into the smaller project, the sound was not the edited version. Is there a way of rendering just a group before copying ?
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes you can render just a part of the timeline but it sounds like when you did the copy/paste from one project to another you didn't have the audio highlighted so it didn't copy over. Not a big thing as you can always go back and get it but it is better to copy both A and V at once of course.
So highlight BOTH the video clip (event) with the appropriate audio clips (events) you wish to copy to the new project (control button works well here as does the shift button AND right click use menu item Select Events to the End) depending on what you need from the timeline copy those clips (events) to the new instance of Vegas and put them on the timeline there.
Now if you want to render those clips (events) before you move them double click on the clip (event) use the control key to highlight the audio portions, now you have basically created a region-goto file render as or render to new track (my preferance) NAME it something slightly different than the main project and render away. you have now rendered only what has been highlighted. At least it does on my machine ;-)

HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

I suggest that you consider using "Project Nesting".

Please do a search in Vegas, under Help, for "Project Nesting".

This is a very nice feature, that, in my opinion, will solve you problem.

Just create a Vegas Project with the timeline segment that you want. Then this Vegas Project can be inserted into other Vegas Projects at will.

So, just think in terms a parts of your timeline that you may want to include in another time, and then make the parts a separate Vegas Project.

If this does not make sense, just send me a private email.
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Many thanks for your suggestions Don & Dan. I have looked briefly at "Project Nesting" in help, & it looks encouraging. However, I prefer to save the imported group as an editable time line, not just as a new single, composite event. I assume this is possible. - By the way, are there any on-line tutorials about "Nesting" ?

I have bought a few books & a tutorial Video on Vegas but have found them a bit disappointing for my style as I am not into flying effects & intricate colour correction etc. ( I still feel it's a pity that Vegas does not have the same simple setting for opacity points as it does for sound volume. - Is V8 any better here ?

I am running Vegas 7 & will probably upgrade to V8 after things settle down a little.

Regards,

Ron.
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You CAN do opacity point by using a VIDEO BUS (control+shift+B) insert a fade to color and set point accordingly. Remember though that it is a MASTER bus and will affect opacity of all tracks at that point.

You might also want to look at Edward Troxels site and download his Vegas Newsletter. Altough some of them go back to version 3 or 4 many of the principals remain the same and he does have a lot of stuff on versions 6 and 7. A little bit on 8 but again the principles remain the same. Also look at Spots (Douglas Spotted Eagle) stuff as well as many other Vegas smart guys at the Vasst site. Lots of good stuff floating around about Vegas.

HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again Don.

The problem I have is that I want to switch opacity easily from one event to another without affecting other tracks which are directly underneath, as I have 3 cameras synced vertically.

I am doing it by locating the spot where I want to switch and then putting in a cut on the various tracks, - Two if I want to use the lowest camera. It works but is very messy as if I don't get it right the first time I have to undo and then move the cursor. Also this does not allow me, (as Premiere does), to fade very easily between the vertically stacked tracks. ( Sorry to harp on this but this is all dead easy in Premiere as you just click on the opacity line and manipulate the same way as you do for sound volume.) I am surprised that Vegas 7 doesn't do this and apparently not in V8 either. - Should I wait for V10 !!

However, don't get me wrong, Vegas is fantastic for sound & I love it.

Regards,

Ron
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
I am running Vegas 7 & will probably upgrade to V8 after things settle down a little.
You might want to give that serious consideration now.
There's a special upgrade price for existing Vegas owners of $135 but it's only good until Oct. 31.
After that it'll jump by at least $100 (if not more).
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...