DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Purchasing Vegas 8 online (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106127-purchasing-vegas-8-online.html)

Lee Kennedy October 21st, 2007 09:14 AM

Purchasing Vegas 8 online

Heya's

I'm from Australia and I'm looking at making the plunge during this final week or so of the Vegas 8 intro offer, to upgrade from vegas 6 platinum studio to Vegas 8 (plus that cinescore package deal as well).

Just wondering, if I go with the download option - plus the "Vegas Pro Optional Shipped Components" option... does that mean I'm essentially getting the Vegas Pro packaged version (box n cd n all), but also being able to download it while I wait for it to be shippped?

I'd like to have the boxed version if I purchase it, but I'd imagine it would take a few weeks to ship, so figured the 2nd option would allow me to use it while I await the box version

Ron Evans October 21st, 2007 09:32 AM

Yes that's what I did too.

Ron Evans

John Miller October 21st, 2007 10:02 AM

Me too.

My manuals arrived about 5 days later.

Mike Kujbida October 21st, 2007 04:31 PM

Be advised that, much to the dismay of a lot folks, you don't get a proper "box" with Vegas 8, just a cardboard shrink-wrapped wrapper :-(

Lee Kennedy October 21st, 2007 10:57 PM

Is that just if you just the download version + the "Vegas Pro Optional Shipped Components" or also if you buy the packaged version online?

Renton Maclachlan October 22nd, 2007 12:08 AM

Nope, I bought the 'boxed version' and I didn't get a box! It may make it harder to sell on when that day comes. I would have like a box for that reason only. Seems funny doesn't that we are crying over a box...though one with pretty colours...

Lee Kennedy October 22nd, 2007 12:30 AM

mmm that doesn't help me fork out the dosh being poor and all.

It seems a bit old skool saying it, but I like to have something a bit physical for spending money, and as stupid as saying "I want a box" sounds, I do, so it can gather dust on my shelf, and also be easier to sell off later on if I choose to. I like the box design too! Perhaps that's what we for the intro offer?

Guess I best be trawling this forum to see what the problems with Vegas 8 that seem to be popping are, and if that deters me from buying it. I wish the "clip limit" thing would be solved, but without trawling yet, I'm guessing it won't have been fixed yet.

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2007 07:31 AM

This "box" thing is NOT a new phenomenon. My upgrade from Vegas 3 to Vegas 4 came in an ...... ENVELOPE. That was during the Sonic Foundry days too.

Ron Evans October 22nd, 2007 10:08 AM

Well mine came in a box with manual for Vegas 8 and manual for DVD Architect 4.5 ( though both are really "thin" manuals) and the disc with all the programs on them that I had downloaded. What amazed me was it came in just two days!!.

Ron Evans

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 762708)
( though both are really "thin" manuals)

Those are "getting started" manuals. The REAL manuals are PDF files which you can download or should be on the disc.

Jason Robinson October 22nd, 2007 05:13 PM

Save Money

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 762719)
Those are "getting started" manuals. The REAL manuals are PDF files which you can download or should be on the disc.

Glad to see Vegas saving money on printed manuals. Hopefully they put their work into better music for cinescore and DVDA so DVDA ca actually author HD/Blu-Ray instead of just the burn from time line (nearly useless for final product delivery in my non-hd user opinion)

Robert Wheeler October 26th, 2007 07:40 AM

I've been stalling on buying the upgrade as I am wary of the charges I might incur taking on the solid disc option. Does anybody know what value they put on the disc and the inserts when shipped as optional extras? If it is the full value of the package then I will be charged full VAT at customs, and on top of that pick up a handling charge from the delivery company. I bought a piece of OEM software a few months ago from the US to my home in the UK. When it arrived, it was literally a disc in a big box full of air, with those daft air bag things inside. Yet I got charged more than the value of the original product in tax, handling charges and delivery.

I don't fancy paying $80 for American air again. Has anybody got any tips? I would like to have the physical disc, but if I have to just go for the sole download then so be it.

Rob

Seth Bloombaum October 26th, 2007 10:54 AM

Let go of the physical disk would be my suggestion.

Have you registered a previous version with sonycreativesoftware.com and looked at the "my account" section? I've found it ***very*** reliable, with serial numbers and download links for all my Sonic Foundry and Sony products back 7 or more years.

I guess I'm not considering resale if that ever might come up for you.

Lee Kennedy October 28th, 2007 09:23 PM

I guess I'm pretty ignorant, but are you saying if I order vegas 8 online from sony, and i choose to get a physical copy, despite what price Sony charge, I will get charged a VAT on top of that once it gets to Australian customs or something?