How Do You Switch From Pro 8 and DVD Architect Pro 4.5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How Do You Switch From Pro 8 and DVD Architect Pro 4.5?

Hi,
I'm new to Sony Vegas and in need of a little help. I would like to know which steps I need to take to import/export video back and fourth from Pro 8 and DVD Architect Pro 4.5?
Also it appears that VASST Training is the way to go. For those of you familiar with VASST, could you tell me if this topic is covered?
Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You could try looking at the following newsletters:

Vol 1 #7 and Vol 4 #1
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

In a (very small) nutshell, here are the steps.
Import all your different elements (video, audio, graphics, music, etc.) into Vegas.
Piece everything together until you get it looking the way you want.
Render from Vegas.
Import the rendered files into DVD Architect and burn your DVD.

Did I skip a few steps? Absolutely!!
What you're asking can't be answered in a few short sentences.

The manual is always a good place to start to become familiar with the programs.
The various DVDs from VASST are an excellent choice as well.
Edward Troxel has a number of excellent (and free) newsletters on his site that I highly recommend downloading and reading. His Beginner series walks you through a lot of the basics.
Sony has some excerpts form their Vegas 5/DVD Architect 2 training series on their site.

When you get into it a bit more, please come come back and ask specific questions about issues you're having.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
Thanks for all your help! It's to bad that both programs wasn't integrated (one program) in order not to go through all the hastle. So far this is the only thing I dislike.
Again, thanks for all the help. Ray
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ray:

Sounds like you want a more consumer level editor like Pinnacle's Studio.

I don't think any of the pro level editors offer full DVD authoring inside the editing program. Nothing hard about pulling files you want on your DVD into a time line for DVD Architect, and if you want to burn a single file DVD without menus, its like three mouse clicks away.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi,
Pinnacle? "I just got over that nightmare." That has got to be the worst program out there. I know it inside out from freezing up, bad rendering, losing everything, etc.. I used Pinnacle 9, 10 & 10.5 and they still don't have it together. It sure wasn't due to my computer.
I have Alienware with 120G hard drive, 2G Ram, 3.6 Processor. In addition, I have two external hard drives one 500 with the other being 250.
As for Sony Vegas, I'm just getting into it. I know it's more advanced, but I will learn it. Everything I've heard about it is totally awesome. By the way, I ordered VASST today with the exception of Volumes 4 & 5 which I will probably get in the near future. Thanks for the input. Ray
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good. Point was that the Pro tools tend to stand alone more... I never had much problems with the Pinnacle programs, by the way. Got up to, and still use 10 plus for quick capture and fast menu dvds. I always heard people bitching and moaning about issues, but I always figured it was because a lot more novices were using it.

Now about those external drives. I have two USB 2.0 drive. If I use them to capture, I face a lot of crashes. But that is on my desk top only. I suspect a driver issue. USB drives capture fine on my lowly laptop.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

chris , all i have is a laptop also. did you find you had to run an external harddrive with the laptop. i've been putting off buying one. if so, would you recommend the new 1933b 800 firewire or stick to the regular 400mg firewire. i will mostly burn hd dvd from my laptop not much editing. pee-wee football games. about 17 minutes.
thanks, gerald
Gerald Hocutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #9

I use an external drive with my laptop. Don't be afraid to use external drives.
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

been researching them, seems western and seagots were slow on the performance scale on the pcmag test.

what does an esata connector look like? trying to see if my laptop has one as they seem to be the fastest.

i got one firewire 400 connector i use for the camera.

right now i have a few videos saved on my internal hard drive but i want to get them off and on an external one. it seems that is what everyone recommends.
Gerald Hocutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #11

Mine is firewire connected this way:

Computer -> firewire -> hard drive -> firewire -> camera/deck (I'm actually connected to a deck)

The hard drive has two firewire connectors and passes the signal appropriately through to the deck.
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
I used Pinnacle 9, 10 & 10.5 and they still don't have it together.
The same could be said for Vegas.........but that's another can of wax, or is it ball of wax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
I have Alienware with 120G hard drive, 2G Ram, 3.6 Processor. In addition, I have two external hard drives one 500 with the other being 250.
As for Sony Vegas, I'm just getting into it.
I use both external and internal bays from icydock. There is nothing better than hot swapping

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...