Too many presets! Can't see 'em all at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 25th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Too many presets! Can't see 'em all

This is a silly thing, but I can't figure it out.

I have Vegas 6.

On certain plugins (namely color corrector and color curves), I have so many presets that I can't see them all. I can't figure out a way to make it scroll to reveal the ones that are lower than the bottom of my screen, and it doesn't spill over into another column. I know the hidden ones are there 'cause when I was able to delete some from old projects, the new ones'd show up. I can use the arrow key to select them, but I can't see the names. Now I want to keep everything that's left. Anyone got a way around this?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I believe only the first 50 show up. Beyond that you'd have to delete older ones to see newer ones.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you have two or more chained together, you can save this as a preset, thereby freeing up room for more single ones.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Can you explain?
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Can do!!

Open the Event FX and click the Plug-In Chain... button. It's the green + symbol to the far right of your FX chain.
This brings up the Plug-in Chooser - Video Event FX window.
Click Save As..., give it an appropriate name and click OK.
The next time you want to use this particular FX, open up the Event FX window, click on Filter Packages, look for the one you created and select it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. What I mean is that when I open, say, color corrector, and then click the drop down box for the presets, I have so many that vertically they take up the entire screen, and I can't seem to scroll down to the ones "below the screen", or make them show up in any way other than deleting the ones that already exist.
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Josh, I think what Mike is suggesting is good.

Select a 'less used' preset, save it as a filter package (see Mike's instructions) then delete it from your regular preset list. When you want to use those settings again, call it up in its new guise as a filter package (a filter package with one plugin in the chain).

Repeat as many times as you need until just your frequently used presets appear in the plugin preset dropdown.

(Shame that the presets drop down doesn't go to two or three or four columns as it grows, rather than cutting you off at 50.)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

p.s. love the Blisterene commercial!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Ok, sorry, I didn't realize it saved the preset and the filter in a filter package. I think I'll make several packages and just have it be a chain of the same preset, and name them after what short film/collection they're from (Blisterine, Ultimate S, etc.)
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...