resizing video or making transparency at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

resizing video or making transparency

I have a photo of a movie theatre screen (.png). I want video to play within the screen window.

Is there a way to make an area of the screen in the photo transparent within vegas?

I have used pan and crop and overlayed video in the past for this kind of thing, but the widescreen size of this screen makes it hard with 4:3 video.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You can make a transparent area many ways. If the screen is stationary, probably the BEST option would be to turn on Bezier masking in Pan/Crop.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes it is stationary, and while I knew I could take the image into Fireworks (or Photoshop) etc, I wanted to see if it could be done in Vegas.

Thank you very much Edward...I'm anxious to try the bezier tool, I know nothing about it.

Edward, or anyone, is there a minimum or ideal resolution for photos used in Vegas?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Generally speaking, the same size as your video. For standard SD NTSC, that would be 720x480 but taking into account square vs non-square pixels, that's 655x480 for the minimum size if you don't need to zoom in.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thank you!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...