What happened to my presets in Vegas 8!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What happened to my presets in Vegas 8!!!

Ok, I upgraded from 6 to 8 tonight, and the first thing I've noticed is that it has not imported any of my event pan/crop presets or track presets!

The Sony Presets Manager seems to only support effects.

Please help!

Rob,
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Create a project using those presets, open it in Vegas 8, and then resave them.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the guidance Edward. Looks like that will have to be my solution, although it is not ideal and highly time consuming and complete counter intuitive. This is surely a major oversight by Sony? I'm going to have a poke about later and see if I can hack them in somehow.

While I'm at it, what have they done to the handling of docked windows? Everything is upside down to how we are used to using it. I tried to swap them around but the windows will no longer dock at the bottom of the screen. Incredibly annoying as I am now having to shuffle loads of windows about.

This is very un-Vegas liek in my experience. I recall there being a migration wizard that popped up when we moved from 5 to 6. Rggghs to Sony.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok, now I am actually angry. They retain previous render presets (thank god) but project properties settings are lost. Wasn't this supposed to be some sort of transparent upgrade that would improve my work flow? Am I coming from the fabled land of the orange banana tree here, or has Sony just chucked a great lump of the brown stuff into my work flow?

I routinely render into about thirty different formats and resolutions, some with minor alterations. These alterations are as important to me as the event pan button or the effects button. So why did they not spend the approximately five minutes it would have taken to import those settings?

I do have notes on these settings, but I should not be spending days trying to recreate them. I am a busy professional. This is called Sony Vegas Pro 8 isn't it? This is the sort of thing that will make professionals reject what is at it's core the most powerful, intuitive and efficient system around. So far I notice a performance increase, but at the cost of actually being able to do what I need to do, the loss of vital presets (the essential tools of my trade) and in reliability, as the couple of crashes I have already had testify to.

Yes I know it is an early release, but if it was not ready to go out they should not have released it. I used Vegas 6a and never updated it, as it never crashed. This heap of fetid dingos kidneys does not even seem to be complete. I think that assertion shall be supported when they release further updates and more features appear - a sure sign that they cut rushed development to have product ready by the video show they announced it at.

And I haven't even tried the Pro-Titler yet!
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wheeler View Post
While I'm at it, what have they done to the handling of docked windows? Everything is upside down to how we are used to using it. I tried to swap them around but the windows will no longer dock at the bottom of the screen. Incredibly annoying as I am now having to shuffle loads of windows about.
Options - Preferences - Display tab - Uncheck the "Display timeline at bottom of main window" checkbox.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you Edward. I was so close to putting the whole computer through the window. Now it looks much better.

I will never understand the logic they must have employed to change a perfectly intuitive method of arranging the screen into an obscure check box at the rear-end of the application. Don't they understand that producers are under pressure!?!?
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #7

The option has been on that screen since Vegas 6. There have been many complaints that Vegas was "upside down" to the other major NLE's which have their timelines on bottom. In Vegas 6 the option to change that was made available. In Vegas 8 they switched it by default. Fortunately it's easy to change back if that is your desire.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I take your point Edward, but it is still counter intuitive, as is the whole migration path. In the Sonic Foundry days they were extremely attentive to migration and maintaining workflow across major program revisions.

I would not be too much to ask for a layout wizard to appear at first run. In fact, I can't see why they need the upside down switch anyway. Surely it you should just be able to move them around and dock them freely?
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Robert, depending on your hacking skills, the presets you're looking for will be found in various xml files. This is just a hint. If you know how to edit xml then have fun. If this is foreign to you, best to leave alone.

Disclaimer - You may need to reinstall Vegas if you break the xml files. You've been warned!

Anyone ever used the settings migration wizard? I've never had a need to, but it's been included with the installs since about V5...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Robert, depending on your hacking skills, the presets you're looking for will be found in various xml files. This is just a hint. If you know how to edit xml then have fun. If this is foreign to you, best to leave alone.
What is the location and name of the files Seth?
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Options - Preferences - Display tab - Uncheck the "Display timeline at bottom of main window" checkbox.
Dear Edward,

Thanks for the tip.

I also have been searching for that option.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...