banding in output file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #1
New Boot

banding in output file

When I render to a video file from Vegas 7, there is a sunset scene fading out to black that exhibits a lot of color banding. They are mainly around the glow of the sun into the sky. The weird thing is when the project is on the vegas timeline, and I scroll around, my external preview monitor (a regular computer CRT monitor) doesn't show this banding at all.

I have tried exporting the video out to many different formats including Cineform 2.5, xvid, wmv9, etc. Also I have tried using Debugmode Frameserver to serve to an avisynth file, and encoded the video into xvid in virtualdub... all with the same banding artifacts. I have also played around with the rendering settings in Vegas, setting all of them to "best" where I could.

My source files are m2t converted to cineform 2.5 (the one built into vegas 7).
Ho-Jong Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
New Boot

Ok, I just realized most of the banding is visible only when playing the output video file on my lcd (which isn't a very good one). When I play it on my CRT, the banding is greatly reduced. However, there is still a little more banding than when playing back directly from the timeline. Is this just an unavoidable result from generational loss?
Ho-Jong Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is this just an unavoidable result from generational loss?

Unfortunately it is :-(
Extreme examples of this are when shows on satellite (maybe cable too) fade to/from black.
Depending on the transmission bandwidth, the blockiness can be extremely bad.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is not generation loss so much, it is much more related to 8-bit banding -- there are just not enough levels in 8-bit data to smoothly present 8-bit gradients. In version 3.x CineForm codecs we bump the data to 10-bit before compression, then dither back to 8-bit for presentation for applications like Vegas, this helps a lot. For data that you already compressed, you have simulate dithering by injecting 0.05% noise (about one 1 bit of noise), but it will not work as well doing it after 8-bit compression. You can get some of higher quality using NEO Player which upgrade your Sony CineForm license to v3 for free, or even more benefits by purchasing NEO HDV/HD which gives you much more quality controls.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...