Eyedropper Colour Tool - Bug/Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Eyedropper Colour Tool - Bug/Problem

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a pretty annoying problem. I'm using Vegas 8 on Vista.

Whenever I use any eyedropper colour selection tool (using, for example, the Color Correction tool, Secondary Color Correction, Chroma Keyer - happens in all of them), if I drag the eyedropper to select a region, it fills the selected region with all black pixels. This happens wherever I select on the screen.

The eyedropper works if I don't drag to select a region, but click only a point on the screen. However, when I drag, it selects/creates black only, and the result is that I can select either black (or complimentary - i.e. white) only.

Of course, this renders these important colour correction and some compositing functions pretty useless, which is annoying.

Has anybody experienced this in Vegas 8? If not, do you think it may be a but in Vegas itself, or in the interaction with Vegas and my video card (GTX 8800)?

For the record, I've been using Vegas 8 and Vista for a few months now, but have not experienced any material problems other than this - clean installation, new Vista system, etc.

Thanks,
Ian.

Edit: I just tried the same thing in Vegas MS Platinum 8, from which I upgraded, and experience the same problem.

I also tried the same thing on my Vegas 8 install on my Dell 6400 laptop running XP, and do not experience this problem. Tool works normally.

I'm thinking this points to some compatability issue with my Vista/nvidia 8800 system, but I'm not positive.

Last edited by Ian Hay; October 31st, 2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Edited to update info.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is actually an Aero Glass issue, and it's something that *should* be fixed in the next update.

-Matt
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Matthew,

Thank you very much for the reply. Question:

- Does this mean that if I disable Glass, the problem should go away? (Of course I can discover this for myself when I get home).

- Do you mean the next Vegas update, or the next Windows Vista update?
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hay View Post
Does this mean that if I disable Glass, the problem should go away? (Of course I can discover this for myself when I get home).
Consider it discovered. Yes, the problem goes away if I disable Aero Glass. (In case anybody's listening).
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Still not fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chaboud View Post
This is actually an Aero Glass issue, and it's something that *should* be fixed in the next update.
For the record, this problem was not fixed in the 8.0b update.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...