DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Nested project - not enough memory (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106984-nested-project-not-enough-memory.html)

Slava Barouline October 31st, 2007 07:43 PM

Nested project - not enough memory

Hi

I am trying to work with a nested project in Vegas 7

I have 11 small projects in HDV (22 minutes in total)
When I try to put them in a one nested project, memory usage grows about 300MB per a project.

When memory usage reaches 2GB (I have only 1.5 GB RAM), Vegas stops working.

When I render a nested project with say 6 projects (memory usage is 1.7Gb), it hits 2GB and stops rendering (frames don't change)

Is this normal?
;-(

I will try to add more RAM, but I suspect I can only add another 512Mb

Thanks
Slava

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 1st, 2007 07:13 AM

If you reduce the preview quality, you should be able to preview. Not being able to render at all is odd. You're confident that it's not a FAT vs NTFS issue?

Slava Barouline November 1st, 2007 08:42 AM

It's Windows XP, should be NTFS

I am not sure why 15 minute nested project takes 1.7Gb of memory

I can preview all fine, but Vegas crashes or hangs if memory usage gets to 2GB (with 1.5Gb of physical memory)

The smaller projects are in HDV 1080-50i

I also have another nested project consisting of 4 10 minute clips
It loads forever, but takes 800Mb of memory and seems to render fine

Maybe I am missing some setting somewhere?

Robert Wheeler November 3rd, 2007 01:35 PM

When you say it crashes or hangs, what exactly happens? Do you get any kind of error message or is any activity visible?

Vegas spends quite a while rendering large time-line preview tracks for nested projects into separate files. Are you sure it is not taking time to render them (it can lock up other operations while it is doing it) and that you have enough disk space for the temporary files it generates?

Slava Barouline November 3rd, 2007 06:12 PM

Sometimes it stops doing anything
The CPU is on 0%, the memory is on 2.02GB

Sometimes it shows unrecoverable internal error (not sure what the message is - but a lot of addresses, function names and such in details window) and dies when I press OK.

Thanks

Mark Stavar November 4th, 2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slava Barouline (Post 769754)
Sometimes it stops doing anything
The CPU is on 0%, the memory is on 2.02GB

Sometimes it shows unrecoverable internal error (not sure what the message is - but a lot of addresses, function names and such in details window) and dies when I press OK.

Thanks

Slava,

Have a look at your disk space, particularly on the drive where the Windows pagefile is located. Are you running out of temp space?

Is your pagefile set up as a fixed size or is it dynamic? If it is dynamic, trying making it a fixed size - with 1.5Gb of RAM, then the same sized pagefile should do the trick, going too much larger probably won't help much.

Sounds to me like your system might be thrashing - spending all its time swapping memory pages between physical RAM and pagefile on disk. Windows seems to have a terrible paging algorithm at the best of times.

Another option, for the sake of it, try setting your preview RAM to 0 and see how that goes.

Good luck,

mark

Slava Barouline November 7th, 2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Stavar (Post 770137)
Slava,

Have a look at your disk space, particularly on the drive where the Windows pagefile is located. Are you running out of temp space?

Is your pagefile set up as a fixed size or is it dynamic? If it is dynamic, trying making it a fixed size - with 1.5Gb of RAM, then the same sized pagefile should do the trick, going too much larger probably won't help much.

Sounds to me like your system might be thrashing - spending all its time swapping memory pages between physical RAM and pagefile on disk. Windows seems to have a terrible paging algorithm at the best of times.

Another option, for the sake of it, try setting your preview RAM to 0 and see how that goes.

Good luck,

mark

Mark

I have 5.8 Gb free on system drive

My page file is minimum 500 and maximum 1000Mb

How do I set preview RAM to 0?

Thanks

Don Bloom November 7th, 2007 07:27 AM

options>preferences>editing
change to whatever number close and restart Vegas.

Don

Slava Barouline November 7th, 2007 07:40 AM

I have increased page file size to 2Gb

Still when I try to render as 1080-50i Vegas crashes with an error:

Sony Vegas 7.0
Version 7.0e (Build 216)
Exception 0xC0000094 (integer divide by zero) IP:0x396ADB92
In Module 'vegas70k.dll' at Address 0x396A0000 + 0xDB92
Thread: TrackRender ID=0x2A0 Stack=0x374F000-0x3750000

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2007 07:42 AM

Just to clarify, you're using Vegas 7e, yes?
What is the source footage?
Rendering to HDV 1080i or uncompressed?

Slava Barouline November 7th, 2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 771589)
Just to clarify, you're using Vegas 7e, yes?
What is the source footage?
Rendering to HDV 1080i or uncompressed?

It's Vegas 7e and Canon HV20 HDV 25p captured by HDVSplit

Joe Busch November 8th, 2007 01:28 AM

This might be a lame approach

But you can copy the project time-line, and paste it into a new project.

You might have better luck copying + pasting all the edited projects into 1 large one.

I've never had Vegas use more than 1 gig of memory, I have 2... and have done some large projects.

Slava Barouline November 8th, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 772089)
This might be a lame approach

But you can copy the project time-line, and paste it into a new project.

You might have better luck copying + pasting all the edited projects into 1 large one.

I've never had Vegas use more than 1 gig of memory, I have 2... and have done some large projects.

Yes, this is what I am going to do.

I never used nested projects before, but HDV is very slow
I thought it would speed it up

Adam Letch November 16th, 2008 08:30 PM

this is the same problem

I'm having with my vegas at the moment, and I'm running a quad with 4Gb of Ram, it'll get to a point and then the cpu goes to 0% and the render just stops. Some suggestions I haven't had a chance to test yet, is set the page file size, put the page file on a different drive, also to reduce the number of render threads is another I've seen.
It seems to be part of this Vegas curse, I have a very important project at the moment, and I thought about a 3rd of the way through I'll just render out to DVD so I can watch it on TV and get a feel for pace etc. Well I can't can I!
I even went and installed 7.0e as copy and pasted it from 8.0c, and it actually got further before it died. The only way to stop the process is to ctrl alt del. The continual need to do this is making think now my system is becoming corrupt. Yet you'll have someone with their trusty pentium 3 1ghz machine and 1 gig ram run smooth.
So I'm almost at a wits end with this program, I keep on thinking just keep trying, there must be a logical solution. I've thrown hardware at it, kept my system as bare as possible, and still something as basic as being able to render your work, which plays good in the timeline preview becomes inpossible.

good luck

Adam

Andris Krastins November 18th, 2008 06:04 PM

I had the same problem and was going crazy.
At last I cut the 15min video in 3 parts, rendered each part at the highest quality possible, then stitched them together with transitions in Vegas. Not pretty, but it worked for a web only delivery.