DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Help! - project won't render (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/107125-help-project-wont-render.html)

Art Varga November 2nd, 2007 02:12 PM

Help! - project won't render

Hey gang- pulling my hair out on this one. Doing my final renders for a wedding video and have 7 of 8 segments successfully rendered to an mpeg2 file. The last segment (it's always the last one) fails during render. Get message "error occurred while trying to render..." It gets hung up in different places each time. There is nothing different about this segment in fact its one of the shortest in length. I'm using one Magic Bullet filter and the HSL adjust filter on some of the clips but again, nothing different from the other segments. The other thing that is occuring is that several times during the edit prior to render, the preview screen turned red and eventually Vegas crashed. Is is possible my timeline is corrupt or something. If so, any recommendations on how to remedy without losing my work. I also tried importing the .veg file into a new timeline - same result. I'm running Vegas 7.0e. Any suggestions appreciated.

Art

Randy Stewart November 2nd, 2007 03:07 PM

Art,
Wow, the only time I've had a similar problem, it turned out that one of the clips I was using was corrupted. Had to cut it out. Might have been caused by dropped frames in capture...don't know. Try RAM rendering short pieces to find out if any of the clips are bad. It will hang on the bad clip (if there is one). Hope this helps. Good luck.
Randy

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 2nd, 2007 11:18 PM

Art, is it hanging up at the same point each time? It helps if you can identify a frame number.
Try setting your render threads to 1, Dynamic RAM to 0. (Dynamic RAM shouldn't make any difference, but since you're playing around...)

Harold Brown November 2nd, 2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 769388)
Art, is it hanging up at the same point each time? It helps if you can identify a frame number.
Try setting your render threads to 1, Dynamic RAM to 0. (Dynamic RAM shouldn't make any difference, but since you're playing around...)

I was getting red frames when I first loaded VP8. It was occurring on .mov files. I updated Quicktime to the next version and it solved the problem. I have seen red frames myself over the years on other type of files but have not always been able to resolve them. If you have any backup files you can go to that might help. I never tried adjusting anything but it is worth a shot.

Gian Pablo Villamil November 3rd, 2007 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 769197)
Hey gang- pulling my hair out on this one. Doing my final renders for a wedding video and have 7 of 8 segments successfully rendered to an mpeg2 file. The last segment (it's always the last one) fails during render. Get message "error occurred while trying to render..." It gets hung up in different places each time. There is nothing different about this segment in fact its one of the shortest in length. I'm using one Magic Bullet filter and the HSL adjust filter on some of the clips but again, nothing different from the other segments. The other thing that is occuring is that several times during the edit prior to render, the preview screen turned red and eventually Vegas crashed. Is is possible my timeline is corrupt or something. If so, any recommendations on how to remedy without losing my work. I also tried importing the .veg file into a new timeline - same result. I'm running Vegas 7.0e. Any suggestions appreciated.

Art

Sounds like a corrupt input file. What format is your original source media?

If it is MPEG, use MPEG Streamclip to read it and rewrite it - this often fixes issues with corrupt MPEG2.

If it is DV AVI, use VirtualDub to read it and rewrite it to a lossless format (eg. HuffYUV or Lagarith), and then read this lossless file back into Vegas.

Alternatively, try rendering the segment on its own and then splicing it together with the other 7 using MPEG Streamclip.

Kim Olsson November 3rd, 2007 03:12 PM

Douglas Spotted Eagle: Why should it matter to change rendering threads to "1", that I dont understand...
That is telling you how many threads availible you want to render with, maybe you want to reserve the others meanwhile you want to do something else with your computer (if you have dual core or more).
But why should it mathers with errors in rendering??

Im from Sweden, trying to type as good as i can...

Art Varga November 3rd, 2007 05:48 PM

It's an mpeg2 file. I did some troubleshooting and was able to successfully render a portion of project. So now I'm trying other segments to see if I can identify a particular segment thats causing a failure. When I try to render the whole project it fails at a different points and not even in the same general area either. I did try lowering the RAM preview to zero and went to one thread. It seemed like it might have gotten further but I need to do more testing.

Edward Troxel November 3rd, 2007 06:20 PM

The have been many times when people have reported problem rendering that switching from 4 to 1 and reducing the RAM preview abount of RAM has helped allow the render to complete.

Kim Olsson November 3rd, 2007 07:40 PM

Edward Troxel: does that means that the rendering threads function is a malfunction.

I under stand Dynamic ram preview - lower amount of ram u dont need in editing while render..
But cant sony just fix those errors after all these years...

hmmm...

Kim Olsson November 3rd, 2007 07:47 PM

By the way.. i have the same problem with an incomplete rendering.
Worked with change the dynamic ram preview to 0 and leave the rendering threads on 4.
Only problem is that the rendering time somehow got doubled..

Art Varga November 4th, 2007 11:07 AM

so I re-booted, lowered RAM to 0 and threads 1 and made it through the render. I'm thinking it may have been a combination of a wacky clip and low RAM availability. By re-booting it may opened free'd up some RAM that was tied up in other processes. I'm running 1.5 gig and probably should have more. I've noticed in the past that whenever I load Vegas from a fresh boot it seems more stable for awhile. Anyway- thanks for the help everyone.

Kim Olsson November 9th, 2007 06:57 AM

Well... i have 4GB of RAM, I have tested both Windows XP pro x64 with full usage of my RAM and regular Windows XP pro x32 which only can see 3GB of RAM, without any success.
So I doubt the problem is a memory issue..

And I wonder how a clip can be "wacky" ?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 9th, 2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Olsson (Post 772703)

And I wonder how a clip can be "wacky" ?

Sometimes a header on a clip can be corrupted, the clip may span/jump a bad disc sector and the HDD/page file can't keep up with the demand, there are other possibilities as well.
It still can be a memory issue, look to see what's running in the background by doing a CTRL + ALT + DELETE and looking at PROCESSES, not APPLICATIONS. You might be surprised.
Are you running antivirus? That's a big problem if you are.
What about HDD's? Are you attempting to render to a boot drive? 'Nother big possible problem.

Kim Olsson November 9th, 2007 11:34 AM

Douglas... My computer is dedicated to do videoediting...
The only thing who is installed on my computer is clean WinXP & Vegas 7 and my project files i'm working with.
I do not have any kind of anti-virus, firewall or something like that. My workstation isn't connected to the internet, or any kind of network.
So my computer is so Clean it can be. I even do a format four times a year.

I have 2x160GB harddrives (sata2). The first harddrive is for operation system and apps only.The second harddrive as a rendering-drive and storing my project files. (Maybe I should get a third drive to store project files on?)

No wacky on my drives. Tested the same project on a monster laptop & Vegas 7 AND 8.