DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Just how much RAM does 8 like to eat? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/107558-just-how-much-ram-does-8-like-eat.html)

Stuart Campbell November 9th, 2007 08:23 AM

Just how much RAM does 8 like to eat?

Anyone know how much RAM 8 will recognise and use?

I seem to remember that 7 won't even recognise anything over 3 Gigs (may be wrong on this one).

Memory is so cheap right now I'm considering treating the edit machine to a few Gs more (thinking of going up 6), but if Vegas won't even see it or use it then the money's better off behind the bar in the local pub aye!?

Thanks

Edward Troxel November 9th, 2007 08:29 AM

Generally speaking, Vegas is not very RAM intensive. When rendering, it only uses what's needed - not what's available. In some circumstances, like when using a bunch of large photos, this goes up. But for normal video usage, tons is not needed.

More RAM can affect the amount you can set for the RAM Preview, though. The more you have, the more you can assign (up to a limit - I'm not sure what that limit is) allowing you longer RAM previews. I tend to keep this number small anyway.

And then there is OS restrictions. For example, XP can only see up to around 3.5 Gig anyway. And apps will be allowed less than that.

Timothy D. Allen November 10th, 2007 01:44 AM

Typically speaking 32 bit applications will only see 3 gigs of ram. At least that Discreet told me when I asked them why my Combustion software could see all 8 gigs I had in my machine.

Hopefully soon - next couple of years probably - all software will be 64 bit, and not have RAM limitations. I know Apple's new Leopard OS is 64 bit, but I'm not sure how long it will take for all the software - such as FCP or Shake - to fallow suite.

(Even though I'm using Mac examples, this all applies to Windows as well.)

Stuart Campbell November 10th, 2007 07:35 AM

Thanks guys, that's interesting.

So, if I built myself a new edit machine, I'd be better off building a 64 bit version? Is that right? I was wondering, if a PC running XP only sees 3 Gig, then why would my motherboard (an ASUS p5w dh delux in this case) have the ability to take up to 8gigs?

However, in the mean time, neither Vegas nor my XP will see anymore than 3.5Gig. Is that correct? Do you think I'd notice any improvement in performance by putting an extra 2 Gigs in, increasing my load to 4. (I understand that memory modules should be matching pairs).

If not I'll just stick with the 2 and wait until I build my next machine.

Thanks

Kim Olsson November 10th, 2007 08:15 AM

Well, Vegas does not support 64-bit version OS right now. But if you read tech news, Sony say future Vegas will support 64-bit.

I have tested WinXP pro x64 before with Vegas 7e, and I couldn't see any errors or malfunctions or any abnormal behavior at all. Many others are also using Vegas on a 64-bit OS without any complications.
So judge on your own...

How many Gig RAM you motherboard can operate has nothing to do what windows see...
Your motherboard saying to you that it has capacity and are able to handle 8 Gig of RAM. And of course you must have a 64-bit OS to "use" the RAM also.
Would you have a 32-bit OS, like WinXP x32 for an example, you would only be able to see and use 3GB of them. But with an 64-bit OS, you could see all eight of them (8GB).

Yes, RAM is a cheap deal now, especially when DDR3 is out now...
Upgrade from 2GB to 4GB wouldnt make your Vegas render 1 sec faster then now. It could help you start Vegas faster with about 0.5 sec or something...
You will also be able to handle more applications running at the same time without slowing down the PC, and switch between them because your PC has now got an "wider memory capacity" with more RAM...

But if you are rendering with all your cores it doesn't matter. Because to have you PC free for work, both your RAM and your CPU's have has to have available resources for free.

I would say: don't buy more RAM's for now. Wait until upgrade.
Also prioritize DDR3 with fast MHz. And dont remember your motherboard have to support DDR3.

greetings from Sweden.

Stuart Campbell November 10th, 2007 11:10 AM

thanks for your advice Kim,

I'll save the money and wait! I really never knew that extra RAM would make such a tiny difference!

Greetings to Sweden from Germany by the way! (I've very much enjoyed my stays with friends in Sweden, great place!)