DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Problem with DVDA burning ripped DVD files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/107754-problem-dvda-burning-ripped-dvd-files.html)

Ian Stark November 12th, 2007 07:14 AM

Problem with DVDA burning ripped DVD files

My client has sent me (or rather I have d/l'd from their FTP site) the ripped contents of a DVD, containing approximately one hour of old training video content. I have been commissioned to extract several sequences for use in a new training video that I am creating for them.

I want to view this material on a regular TV, through a regular DVD player, rather than on the computer, hence I need to burn the material back to a DVD.

My first thought was to use DVDA 4.5 and go straight to 'Burn a previously prepared folder' (or whatever the exact wording is). I created a folder with an AUDIO_TS directory (empty) and a VIDEO_TS directory, containing the files (.VOB, .IFO and .BUP).

DVDA allowed me to use this folder (when I previously made a mistake and forgot to create the AUDIO_TS folder, it told me so) and then let me go ahead and kick off the burn process.

At time of writing, the burn has lasted 36 minutes and has stuck on the 'burning lead-in' stage. There is some occasional flickering on the DVD writer (not the steady flashing you get when it's writing) but that's about it.

This is the third time it has got stuck at the burning lead-in stage. When I cancel, it comes up with the "may several minutes' message but then it hangs there for ages - to the extent that I then have to close it down using Task Manager.

Notes:

- I am burning at the slowest possible speed (2x).
- DVDA 4.5
- no problem viewing the video in WMP or PowerDVD on the PC
- the client tells me there is no copy protection on the material (but this is a guess on their part as the original production shop they used is now out of business)
- I tried to use Nero (for the first time, I think - never had a reason to use it before) but I guess I must have a restricted function OEM version as the DVD video creation button is greyed out. I thought I could just burn the file structure to a DVD but it won't let me.
- using Sony DVD-R disks (and have used them with complete success in the past, as long as I keep to low burning speeds).

Any thoughts as to whether I'm doing something wrong, whether the material is protected in some way, or whether there is a DVDA issue?

Can anyone suggest a reliable alternative to allow me to burn the file structure to a DVD? I'm reluctant to have to buy an app especially for this one-off situation so my preference would be to get DVDA to work for me or locate some decent freeware, if such a thing exists.

I'm afraid I am a victim of my own cockiness in that last week I told the client "yeah, no problem, don't bother sending a DVD in the post, just rip it and I'll download it" and now I need to have made my recommendations for the extracted sequences by the end of today! Slap my wrist.

All advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Ian . . .