Color Correction Sample For Potential Clients - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I agree with the sentiment about theory being best understood from a book. I'm the same. I remember glancing at Steve Hullfish's book in a bookshop a couple of years back and putting it on my mental shopping list. For some reason I never got around to buying it (poor mental retention, no doubt). I've now got the new book (out Jan 08) on my Amazon wish list so at least I get a reminder!

I haven't seen any of the VASST Vegas DVD's and I am kind of tempted by the CC DVD but I have seen a fair few training DVD's from other providers and I'm always disappointed by the dreadful production values - especially so considering the nature of the advice being dispensed! (Total Training excepted, IMO). They always look rushed and, dare I say it, bordering on amateur - especially the presenters, who take almost as long to read out their list of dubious credentials (which I don't care about and can read on the sleeve) as they do to explain their topic (which I do care about and have paid to expand my knowledge of!)

Please, please, please cram my DVD with two hours of actual training - or tell me in advance that it is one hour of training padded with an hour of unnecessary self-agrandissement, irrelevant chit-chat and overlong titles with dire stock music that probably cost $9.99.

I feel HUGELY better now. I thank you. Nice weekend to you . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote:
I too would love a DVD that simply took all aspects involving color and explained them very thouroughly such as the recording of color informatin into the camera, how that is stored onto tape or disk, how that information is displayed on a color monitor, etc, etc. Even to go as far as pixel depth, etc. I realize this could be an entire disk alone, but that's the kind of information maybe a solid 90 minute DVD could really help people out.
Jon, perhaps you are looking for information like this...?

An explanation of the color matrix in cameras:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...15&postcount=1

Some information on chroma subsampling:
http://glennchan.info/articles/techn...ma/chroma1.htm

Perhaps topics like that?
And perhaps explained more clearly (and with pictures) and a more practical bent?
Or are topics like that too technical?

2- I might be able to write up some articles to put on my website. I was planning to put up some articles on general color theory and color science. (When I get around to it...)

3- Charles Poynton's book has all the information on that (minus color pictures... so you can't see the effect of doing the color matrix incorrectly). It is well-written, but covers high level material so it may be difficult to understand if you don't know the underlying concepts/background.

I find it a very good reference.

Quote:
I'm always disappointed by the dreadful production values
Hi Ian, I'd recommend that you check out sample clips of the training in question so that you can judge for yourself. As far as Vol. 4 goes, I think you will find little self-aggrandizement.

Quote:
I feel HUGELY better now.
I'm glad you got that off your chest. :D
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Trustee

And...

And thanks again for the great work on the CC DVD.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hey Glenn - I will check them out! Just want to stress to everyone that I was talking about other DVDīs Iīve seen - certainly not suggesting the VASST DVDīs are poor as I havenīt seen them.

Nothing like a good rant, huh?! ;-))
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...