Heat problem makes Vegas fail... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Sorry Kim...I have nothing...I hope you find another solution.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #32
Major Player

Thnks for reply and thoughts.

Me my self think that if Matthew Chaboud think my RAM cause address-space starvation, It would help to buy faster RAM....
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Your motherboard likely won't support DDR3 ... do check.

Faster DDR2 memory will be fine, though.. (e.g., 800mhz rather than 667mhz)

If it was bad ram, I would expect stability issues for all programs... since you're presumably running two DDR2 chips in dual-channel mode, data will be evenly spread between chips, so a bad chip should be quite obvious...

This is a tricky one, I'd do the following, roughly in this order--

-check the error msg to see if a plugin caused it (like waves dlls)
-check hard disk space
-check temperatures
-reboot
-set dynamic ram to 0, then to 200, see if any help
-tweak render profile to see if some settings work while others don't
-see if you can narrow down a specific render setting it doesn't like
-render on another computer (..we run a network of 3 boxes which share storage)
-reinstall vegas
-reinstall windows
-unplug some devices, like DVD drive and unused Hard drives, to make sure power supply isn't over-loaded
-pull out all RAM apart from one chip
-try the render with the other ram chip only (if it's ram, then it'll crash only with the bad chip installed)
-swap in a different cpu (quite easy, if you don't mind taking another pc offline and re-doing the thermal paste)
-swap in a different motherboard (pain in the ass)
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #34
Major Player

I do know that I have to change motherboard for upgrading to DDR3.

I run 4x1GB 667MHz

The project did fail on my laptop dual-core too....

The issue most be in Vegas itself

Sony Vegas doesn't handle so high fps (50) with HD (720p)... i think...

The project fails at 47% most of the time, sometime a reboot!
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Sounds like the project file or a component file [video file or audio file] could be corrupted. Have you tried building a new project with different components but the same resolution, etc. See if Vegas has the same problem. If yes, it may be a Vegas problem. If not, it may be a problem with your project file or one of it's component files.
Jaums Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #36
Major Player

corrupted? How would a corrupted media look ??
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #37
Regular Crew

By 'corrupt' I mean that there is some sort of error within the file--some zeros and ones got mixed up or something. It may be an error that doesn't matter until Vegas tries to process it. It may PLAY OK.

I have never used Vegas, but with Premiere, a project file [VEG file in Vegas] or a video or audio file can be corrupt and as a result the project may not play, may not render, etc. It's difficult to find out what exactly is corrupt. That's why I suggest first building a new project with the same settings but with different video and audio files and see if Vegas has any problems with it. If it does not then there may be a corrupt file in your project or the file that Vegas created with the events [VEG file] may have gotten corrupted somehow.

You said it renders OK to a certain point? Using Premiere with similar situations I have sometimes figured out which file appears at the point where the problem occurs. Then remove that file and see if then the project is OK. If it OK without that file, then it must be that particular file that has a problem, so I deleted that file and re-captured that footage.

If the VEG file is corrupt, then it's more complicated to try to fix the problem. The solution may be to start the project over from the beginning--a very depressing thing to have to do!

Solving a problem like this is like trying to solve a puzzle. Sometimes you can find a solution and sometimes you can't and have to start over. When these machines work right it's amazing what wonderful things you can do. When they don't work, you want to throw it out the window!
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #38
Major Player

yeah, you are right, very depressing...
I spent over 600 hours on this project.

This project is going to make me rich, later in time...

But I'll have to start searching where there could be a corrupted file...
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Good luck Kim!

Remember! [If my suggestion works out] I get 10%! ;-)
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Speaking of corrupted files, I used to have issues with corrupted .veg files. But no more! You guys already know this trick, I'm sure.

Instead of using "Save", I use "Save As" under same name. It was with repeated saving that the files somehow became corrupted. Using Save As, each time I save project it is to the project as if I'm saving it for the first time.

If anyone needs to tell me why this shouldn't work, I can only say to you that it works anyway, and beautifully. I have not had a corrupted .veg file after thousands of saves and over two years after beginning this method.
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #41
Major Player

Wow, sound strange.... But if thats the trick.....
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Yes Kim, I know someone who saves his project every save by saving it under new name for same reason, but that is not necessary.

I need to be clear, before this method I often had corrupted .veg files...strange problems that I couldn't explain, very frustrating. I do it so automatically now I don't even think about it. The reason I suppose was because I made SO many changes and experimented with so many kinds of music, etc., on a clip, I was adding and deleting things from timeline quickly and for hours at a time. It was no wonder the .veg files became messed up.
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #43
Major Player

ok... little confused...
Do you mean that it is good to use "Save".
Or do you mean that it is good to use "Save As" ??

Which one is the bad and good...?
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Save As with the same or a different name works for me. It's like saving a brand new project every time.
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #45
Inner Circle

For certain projects - usually the more complex ones - I tend to 'Save As' with an incrementing version number.

The .veg files are typically very small so it's not a space waster, but it is very handy to be able to go back a few versions, for example to remind myself of a filter's settings at that point in time or to copy a section of clips that I may subsequently have moved around.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...