Music Video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Here's one I made earlier. Vegas 7, I think, but it may have been in 6. As far as I recall this was done entirely in Vegas with no sneaky little trips to After Effects.

http://www.film-it.net/stuff/spaceship.wmv.
That's the one I've been looking for!!!
Thanks for posting the link again Ian.
A group of students I work with recently wrapped shooting on a music video and I've got the job of teaching them Vegas so they can edit it.
I planned to make use of your Bump Map filter tips in it but couldn't remember what to search for.
It's now bookmarked and I'm a happy editor :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Why is this so useful? Well, I only possess a very basic lighting kit (3 Ianiro non-focusing Lilliputs and a 750w (3 x 250W) halogen with softbox. It's my biggest area of weakness and I often struggle with getting decent atmospheric lighting. So, I thought I'd do it in post.
Ian,

Did this involve multiple tracks of the same clip, using cookie cutter or a cookie cutter type interface, or are the effects applied to only one track?

Quote:
I have yet to experiment with adding 'virtual colour gels' - anyone got any idea how that might be achieved?
I'd also be very interested in learning more about this.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Mike - great! Glad you found it!

Brian,

I applied the Bump Map filter to a single track/clip as required - no need for the cookie cutter. Key settings are Light Type: Spotlight and Bump Height: 0. Intensity and focus etc will change the characteristsics of the light as required. In most cases it was at the end of the filter chain.

It certainly isn't perfect, and doesn't replace good creative light at the shoot, but it can give some really great dramatic depth - with the added bonus of being able to wildly experiment with it during the edit.

As for virtual gels, I never found a way to do this, other than to add another track above with a solid colour or gradient set to a low opacity setting.

Now there's a Vegas plug-in development opportunity - a decent artificial lighting tool, with virtual gels and gobos, volumetric lighting, etc . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Digital Film Tool's 55mm suite may have come closest to this, and included custom gel's but they never showed interest in Vegas support.

55mm is now sold by Tiffen under the product name of Tiffen DFx Digital Filter Suite.

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=dfx

(notice page)
http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/legacy/55mm/

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...