Price too good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Price too good?

After using a trial version of Vegas 8.0 / Premier CS3 I have decided to go with Vegas. I found it much more intuitive and my needs are fairly simple. I went to the B&H website and can buy the package for 500 OR buy Vegas 6 for 99 and then buy the Vegas 8.0 upgrade for 99.... total 198. What am I missing here? Lack of future upgrade paths? This is even way cheaper than academic pricing. I want to avoid the "If it sounds to good to be true..."
Todd Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is a very common path to Vegas 8 and the same one I used, although I did use 6 for a year before doing it.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How long until retailers or Sony for that matter realize what people do in a case like that that?

People could make a living selling those kind of things, and make a couple hundred bucks on eBay!

Of course they wouldn't tell people how they buy the software so cheap.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson View Post
How long until retailers or Sony for that matter realize what people do in a case like that that?
They are all aware.. It has been around for years. 6 comes with a disk only, no box or documentation, except what on .pdf on disk. BH, who sells a lot of camera, probably made a deal with Vegas to sell that version as entry for camera users into this level of editing. Sony is happy to get pro level users using the software.

The Upgrade comes with a download....box, I think for additional dollars. Early adopter had to pay more. I went 6 to 7 for $150, and did order the box. When 8 came out, I bought it early by upgrade from Sony by download at $150.00. So this is common expectation. Retailers depend on walkins, while these download upgrade situation are for regular users who have been or will become regular users of Vegas, an expectation in the software business.
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

this is a counter productive behavior from editor, letting users believe that software cost nothing, and the ultimate solution is getting it for free.
After all if you can get it for 500 or 200 and it make no difference for the editor, getting it for free should not hurt them either.
It is the same when you fly in a plane. Just ask the next seat how much he pays for his ticket and be ready for a surprise...
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Tourist

Vegas on the cheap

I believe the $99 version is Vegas-only, no DVDA. I'm sure others will corrrect me if that is not the case. Thx...
James Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I imagine that the vast majority of software buyers are not interconnected as we are. Therefore, the majority of buyers pay full price. The number of people buying old versions and upgrading cheaply is likely insignificant.

Vegas is still a second tier program and Final Cut is only growing more and more popular as Macs gain in popularity, so it is more important at this point for Vegas to infiltrate the market than for them to worry about losing a "few" dollars on a relatively few sales.

I would suspect Sony knows full well people do this and are glad of it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Eaton View Post
I believe the $99 version is Vegas-only, no DVDA. I'm sure others will corrrect me if that is not the case. Thx...
This is not my experience. My original 6 I think was Vegas only, but the upgrades 7 and 8 included latest versions of DVD Architect.
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Major Player

V8

even with the more inexpensive paths to (legit) ownership, I decided to go ahead and purchased the boxed package for the simple fact that you do get more "goodies" by this method , not to mention I got a package (from sponsor seller) with free VASST training videos 1,2,3 and 8, which after watching has made me feel that they are worth every penny in their retail price, its the ultimate owners manual. and after you add up the price of all the "goodies" its cheaper this way, you are just making a commitment to get more at once, and you have a better upgrade path. I cant recommend the VASST training videos enough, they made ownership worth it, to some one like me that hates to read manuals and learns better from watching some one else do it and explain as they are doing the functions. not to mention the inclusion of DVDA.

Just my 2cents.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

dudes this sounds good, where can I buy a copy of vegas 6?
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

BH Photo. Order on line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Editing.html

Be sure to confirm availability of upgrade as Sony before you go this route.
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

cool thanks!
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #13
Major Player

DVDA included

Just seconding the post above... I've bought and am using this BH $99 V8 upgrade from 6, and it includes DVDA Pro 4.5
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Sony sells the same upgrade for $234.00.

alan
Alan Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #15
New Boot

it worked... sort of

Okay guys it did work. Got the vegas 6 and the pro 8 upgrade. The only hiccup is I run XP x64 and had installation problems. Vegas 6 installed fine but when I went to install the 8 upgrade it needs .net framework 3.0 which by default will try to install the 32bit version which will kick you out of the intall program. Now instead of going to windows website and trying to find the program you need, I just realized you can probably browse the disk and find it. Then it installed fine..
Todd Mathews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...