DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   double click on event shows previous one (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/109851-double-click-event-shows-previous-one.html)

Paul Fierlinger December 9th, 2007 01:52 PM

double click on event shows previous one

I experienced a complete freeze of windows due to another application than Vegas, but Vegas was running at the time. I couldn't even close the running applications with Ctrl/Alt/Delete (wouldn't open) and had to depower my computer manually.

After I rebooted, Vegas, to my surprise didn't warn me that there had been a crash and that I should save my project after reopening.

I noticed immediately that wherever I double-clicked on an image event, the preview window showed me the last frame of the previous event. There are no overlaps of frames between clips and this is happening no matter which project I open.

The Windows sudden shutdown obviously caused something within Vegas to make this happen -- does anyone have any idea what I should do to correct this? It's very annoying and makes editing almost impossible.

Paul Fierlinger December 9th, 2007 03:20 PM

I'm getting myself into a mess. I uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas 8.a in hopes of fixing this problem. Alas, the problem hasn't been fixed and all my settings are gone. This looks serious -- no suggestions from anyone out there?

Paul Fierlinger December 10th, 2007 12:52 PM

57 people so far have checked this thread out, and who knows how many more over on the Sony forum, but it seems that no one has ever encountered the same experience. I posted my problem with Sony support and hopefully something can be figured out.

Such a small thing yet so detrimental to the minute by minute work flow.

Edward Troxel December 10th, 2007 02:10 PM

I know when you double-click an event, the cursor will move to the beginning of that event. However, it *should* show you the frame AFTER the cursor which would be the first frame of the event you double-clicked. I've never seen it do otherwise.

Paul Fierlinger December 10th, 2007 02:28 PM

Could you venture a guess as to why this is happening to me? It obviously isn't a setting in Vegas since I reinstalled Vegas and it continued to happen with factory settings. Could this have something to do with the graphics card or something in the registry?

Edward Troxel December 10th, 2007 03:20 PM

I'm not sure uninstalling and reinstalling resets everything. You might try holding down CTRL-SHIFT when starting Vegas which should reset EVERYTHING back to factory defaults.

Paul Fierlinger December 10th, 2007 03:41 PM

Interesting that you brought that up, because I did another uninstall but this time deleted all the Vegas 08 directories before reinstalling. Nothing was fixed. Then I got your last post and opened Vegas using CTRL-SHIFT but that hasn't fixed anything either.

I have discovered however, that when I start a new project from scratch, the problem is gone. If I had to redo my entire film, which consists up until now of 11 separate projects amounting to 55 minutes, I'd go nuts.

The fact is, that deleting an event and entering it again from it's folder fixes the problem for that event, so I might have to go nuts until I'm done...

But first, I'll wait to see what I hear from Sony before I'll do something like that to myself.

Ian Stark December 11th, 2007 03:35 AM

Perhaps a quicker way to reload your footage would be to move all the source footage en masse to a new folder then re-open the project. At the 'can't find media' dialogue you can then specify the new location and all the clips should be reloaded.

Can't guarantee this will resolve the problem but worth a try (having File/Save As'd first!).

Good luck.

Ian Stark December 11th, 2007 03:53 AM

Paul, when you double click an event, what happens to the loop region indicator? Does it cover what it should show, ie the correct clip?

Is the 'now' time correct (ie showing the first frame of the double clicked clip)?

And it happens to EVERY clip in EVERY existing project?

When I was playing around just now, trying to replicate your problem, I noticed that the two clips I had loaded *appeared* to be non-overlapping but in fact there was a single frame overlap (which dispayed 0;00 duration) that only showed up at extreme magnification. The result was that when I double clicked on the second clip it did shoot back to the first frame of that clip but it also showed the last frame of the previous clip, presumably at 50/50 composite levels. This was despite having automatic event snapping on.

Now, what are the odds of this happening to every clip in every existing project? Slim, I know. But maybe worth taking a peek to see whether there is, in fact, any overlap.

Long shot!

Anyone clue me in as to why this single frame overlap happens? Is it intentional? It's too fast to be detected on playback so I'm not concerned aesthetically, just wondered if it is supposed to happen.

Paul Fierlinger December 11th, 2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 790579)
Paul, when you double click an event, what happens to the loop region indicator? Does it cover what it should show, ie the correct clip?

Yes, it covers what it should show and there is no overlapping even at the extreme CU.

Quote:

Is the 'now' time correct (ie showing the first frame of the double clicked clip)?
yes, it is.

Quote:

And it happens to EVERY clip in EVERY existing project?
Not every clip and not every time the same clips. But I have backups of clips and Vegas project settings and this happens no matter what I use from any of the Vegas backups on any of the external drives. It seems to be a problem embedded within my computer, since the problem continues even after a complete uninstall and reinstall of Vegas.

Quote:

When I was playing around just now, trying to replicate your problem, I noticed that the two clips I had loaded *appeared* to be non-overlapping but in fact there was a single frame overlap (which dispayed 0;00 duration) that only showed up at extreme magnification. The result was that when I double clicked on the second clip it did shoot back to the first frame of that clip but it also showed the last frame of the previous clip, presumably at 50/50 composite levels. This was despite having automatic event snapping on.
This is not my case. There is no overlap, thus no 50/50 appearance.

When I said previously that the only fix is to delete the clip and manually replace it by dragging it from the browser, this turns out again not to be always the case; sometimes it fixes the problem, sometimes not and sometimes it fixes it but the problem re-appears after closing Vegas and reopening it. There seems to be little consistency in all my experiments.

The only thing that seems to be consistent is when I build a new project from scratch the "overlapping appearance" never appears.

Ian Stark December 11th, 2007 07:11 AM

Inconsistency is SOOO frustrating. I feel for you.

Sounds like a job for the guys at Sony.

Paul Fierlinger December 11th, 2007 07:54 AM

Thanks, Ian and Edward. From the practical side, this would be maddening if the problem continued to appear on new projects but since it seems to be happening only with the finished ones, I can live with it. On the few occasions when I have to make changes in the finished projects, I can deal with the nuisance if there will be no solution.

This whole issue just makes me wonder if Vegas would not benefit from allowing us to have a selection of options for where the cursor falls on double clicking a clip; first frame, mid clip, last frame, and current frame.

Paul Fierlinger December 19th, 2007 09:32 AM

This is what I received from Sony today and indeed it is the solution:

Hi Paul,

I apologize for the lengthy response time to your technical support inquiry. We have been experiencing an increase in support demands from new product launches and we have fallen a bit behind on service requests. We have been working diligently to answer as many emails as possible in the order that they were received. I hope you understand and sincerely appreciate your patience.

The only way I can reproduce this issue is if I have Quantize To Frames turned off. Go to Options > Quantize To Frames and make sure this is turned on.

Since it would appear that your edits were falling in between frames, go back and fix the edits so they snap to the beginning of a frame. When you double-click the following event, it will show the first frame of that event.

Sincerely,

Marc S.
Customer Service & Technical Support
Sony Creative Software Inc
1617 Sherman Ave
Madison, WI USA 53704
www.sonycreativesoftware.com
www.acidplanet.com