Vegas 8 can't see A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Vegas 8 can't see A1

Can someone help me please. Last night I downloaded Vegas 8.0c Platinum. My problem is the Vegas does not see the A1 camera. The fire wire is working OK because when I open "My Computer" from my Start Menu, I see the camera listed under "Scanners and Cameras" and can play the tape in the A1 and it shows on this screen, so the connection is good but in Vegas in the list of capture sources on the left, Scanners and Cameras is not listed. When I open My Computer from the capture source, the A1 is not listed in Removable Storage Devices. Any suggestions anyone, please.
Brenda Drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

Which A1? Sony HVR-A1? Canon XH A1?

If it's the Sony HVR-A1 make sure you are using the HDV capture option and not the DV capture option. Make sure the camera is in HDV mode and not DV downconvert mode. I don't have Platinum (I use Vegas Pro 8) so I can't give you specific steps.

~jr
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
New Boot

Sorry, I should have said the Canon XH A1. I am downconverting in the camera to DV. Shouldn't I see the camera as a source to chose from in the box on the left hand side of the Vegas screen when opened ? The firewire is OK because when I look in My Computer, the camera is listed under "Scanners and Cameras" I am out of town just now but will check when I get home to see if I have the setting at DV and not HDV and I believe I should pick External source in Vegas and not Internal source. Thank you for responding.
Brenda Drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Brenda,

The inability to capture Canon A1 with Sony Vegas 8 appears to be a known issue with Vegas 8 specifically. See here for a discussion and potential workarounds:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=562137

Ian.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hay View Post
The inability to capture Canon A1 with Sony Vegas 8 appears to be a known issue with Vegas 8 specifically.
But Brenda has now further qualified that the camera is in DV mode and the problems with the Canon A1 and Vegas are with HDV capture. In DV mode Vegas should see the camera with it's external capture utility (vidcap60.exe). Even my ADS Pyro A/V Link (which I use to capture analog VHS tapes) shows up as a DV camera in Vegas. Any device that emulates DV correctly should work.

~jr
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You're right, John. Sorry about that - her issue doesn't quite mesh with the known Vegas 8/A1 problem described in that thread.

I'll go back to watching you teaching me how to use DVD Architect. :)
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
New Boot

Well, this thread certainly put my intended Vegas purchase on hold. All my video is shot on an XH-A1
Robert Wertheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wertheimer View Post
Well, this thread certainly put my intended Vegas purchase on hold. All my video is shot on an XH-A1
I have Vegas 8 Pro and the Canon XH-A1. Vegas sees my A1 with no problems. I shot in HD and it captured with no issues.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #9
New Boot

Good to know some are getting it to work. Wonder what the issue is?
Robert Wertheimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...