Irregular/ fragmented capture from Canon HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Irregular/ fragmented capture from Canon HV20

Hi

I`ve just received a new HV20 HDV camera and when I captured the first short HDV 1080i clip to my Vegas 7.e, the capture clip was fragmented arbitrarilly in some clips, independently of the (only one) camera stop.
This fragmented clips were diferent each time I tryed to capture.
My system is an old AMD K6 II, 1,8MHZ.
Could this Vegas behavior be explained by the poor power of my hardware, meaning I must buy a new system to capture correctly 1080i stuff?

Thanks
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Um, yeah, need to trade the old burro for a racehorse. Likely you are dropping frames (should be a readout for that in the capture window, dropped frames should be "0").
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Dave
So there is nothing "wrong" with my new camera or Vegas or the comunication between them, but the incapacity of the hardware?
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Major Player

I've actually had similar issues with a high-end system. I got erratic frame-captures and dropouts from the actual Vegas capturing program.

Before you try upgrading, look into the program HDVSplit. It's what I use now for capturing and I like it a lot more than the Vegas for capturing HDV.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ron,

From reading similar problems on this forum in the past, one thing you might look at is the firewire port/cable. First, is the HV20 the only thing connected via firewire? A lot of people have had trouble capturing via firewire if there is another device (e.g. an external drive) connected via firewire at the same time. Beyond that, you may have a problem with the firewire card/adaptor itself.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Joe and Ian.
In fact, there is only the HV20 connected to my system and my old Sony PC 105 (I donated last sunday) was having no problem to capture sd stuff.
I started having problems when I begun capturing 720p footage from my JVC HD100a - the preview window has presented a long delay showing me the images reproduced by the camera(VCR).
Ron German is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...