DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   where is H.264? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/110586-where-h-264-a.html)

Paul Fierlinger December 19th, 2007 09:39 AM

where is H.264?

I remember someone posting here (or was it another forum? -- I conducted a search with no results) how to locate QT's H.264 codec in Vegas 8. I also remember checking that information out at the time and indeed it was there. Now, for the life of me I can't remember what to do to make the codec appear in a list. Does anyone have this information?

Joe Busch December 19th, 2007 07:27 PM

Pretty sure you pick a container, like .mov, then you pick the codec and adjust the settings.

Paul Fierlinger December 19th, 2007 07:34 PM

But what I want to do is export my project for someone who needs it to be an H.264 QT movie. In that case I need to first locate the codec under "Render as" and render it to a HD folder. I have QT Pro 7.2. Shouldn't I be able to find the codec within Vegas?

Hugh Mobley December 19th, 2007 09:28 PM

If you go to render as, quicktime, custom, video format you should find H263 not 264, I would like to see H264 too, I have Quicktime H264 in AVS video converter, which works, In QT I always use Sorenson codec

Mike Kujbida December 19th, 2007 09:32 PM

Here's 3 suggestions from the Sony Vegas forum.

#1. File -> Render As... Type: Main Concept AVC/AAC

#2. Use Sony's AVC encoder if you don't like Main Concept's. Select the appropriate resolution and bitrate for your video & the end result will be good. The .mp4 extension is actually preferable as it's more compatible with devices and apps.

#3. Render an uncompressed AVI, open it in Quicktime Pro and compress it there.

Paul Fierlinger December 20th, 2007 12:21 AM

Thank you Mike, that was the one I was looking for! So I had seen it in the Sony group.

Hugh, I have no preferences in this case-- I've been asked to deliver H.264

Sean Seah December 23rd, 2007 07:25 PM

hi Paul. Have u attempted the 3rd workflow? I'm gonna try it tonight to see how it goes. I learnt from Phil (UK) that those wonderful H264 stuff he shot with the Sony EX1 went thru 2 steps to render. Render to mov (current settings in FCP6) and then a 2nd render via QT Pro to H264. The results are amazing.

Paul Fierlinger December 23rd, 2007 10:04 PM

Hi Sean, yes through QT Pro was what I ended up doing. I have no regular need for H.264 in my line of work (I'm a 2D animator, so no cameras are involved and I work with uncompressed avi's) but it did look very nice and fit the needs of my MacHead colleague who had asked me for it.

Sean Seah December 23rd, 2007 11:31 PM

thks for the feedback! Will have a go at it and see what happens. I think QT runs better on the web the HD WMV somehow.

Paul Fierlinger December 24th, 2007 03:23 AM

I don't know that much about website building, but I always thought it was the opposite. I think QT can be played by anybody but WMV is more restricted to PCs. I have HD WMV clips on my website, which are pretty big and don't think QT could match them with practicality.

www.mydogtulipfilm.com

What I do like about QT is the way you can scrub them frame by frame, which is important for most animators.